• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Setting up HFM on remote boxen

m33pm33p

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2013
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
4,345
Last night I finally got my 4P server setup in my garage. I'm now attempting to get HFM setup on my windows boxen inside so I can monitor the status of my folding. I know there is a million ways to set HFM up to monitor remote machines, but here's how I did it.

I simply shared the F@H and all child folders on the Linux box to my home network. From HFM I setup a legacy client and chose a local path, which I pointed to the shared F@H folder on my linux box. I tested connection : SAT. Load up HFM and I get slot type, the core its using, ETA etc. ALL the data EXCEPT, % is stuck at 0, PPD is stuck at 0. No progress being shown. Left it on overnight thinking it would need some time to catch up, no good, still no progress. I also have HFM setup for my local boxen and it's working just fine.

Does anyone know where I went wrong, how to fix it or a more optimal way to go about this?
 
What path are you pointing to on the remote box?
I believe you need to be pointing to the /work folder.
 
try to change from psumary.htm to psumaryC.htm in Pref.
then force HFM to dl projects from SF.
 
What path are you pointing to on the remote box?
I believe you need to be pointing to the /work folder.

You don't - just \\machinename\fah, depending on what you actually shared. Jump on irc when you can so I can walk you through the setup.
 
Last night I finally got my 4P server setup in my garage. I'm now attempting to get HFM setup on my windows boxen inside so I can monitor the status of my folding. I know there is a million ways to set HFM up to monitor remote machines, but here's how I did it.

I simply shared the F@H and all child folders on the Linux box to my home network. From HFM I setup a legacy client and chose a local path, which I pointed to the shared F@H folder on my linux box. I tested connection : SAT. Load up HFM and I get slot type, the core its using, ETA etc. ALL the data EXCEPT, % is stuck at 0, PPD is stuck at 0. No progress being shown. Left it on overnight thinking it would need some time to catch up, no good, still no progress. I also have HFM setup for my local boxen and it's working just fine.

Does anyone know where I went wrong, how to fix it or a more optimal way to go about this?

This is how I do it. (I use a "light weight" webserver called cherokee, primarily because I've had some issues with Samba and domain authentication).
I'm going to assume you are using ubuntu.
If ssh isn't installed, install it now, best way to get to the command line in linux, where you need to be. (sudo apt-get install ssh). Download Putty on your windows box. Use putty to connect to your linux box for CLI access.

Verify indeed that folding is running, go to your folding directory and look at the FAHlog.txt file. You can use cat, vi, nano, more, less, etc to view it.
run sudo chmod +r FAHlog.txt

install cherokee (sudo apt-get install cherokee)
setup cherokee (sudo cherokee-admin -b xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) (replace the x's with your IP address)
go to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9090 on a web browser on your computer
Username is admin, the password will be in putty, you can highlight the password and then hit enter to copy it to the clipboard. Paste it in the password slot.
Once you are in cherokee admin, click on the General tab, then under it, click on "Ports to Listen". Change it from port 80 to some nonstandard port (I use 8008 myself), click save (top right hand part of the screen), and then do not restart when it gives you that option.
Click on the vservers tab, change the document root folder to your fah folder (assuming fah is your user) /home/fah/fah
Tab out of the field, and click save again. This time, do a graceful restart.
Close the browser, and then end the admin session of cherokee in putty (ctrl-c)
You can now see your fah folder by going to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8008

In HFM, tell it use Web Server, and the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8008 as the address.

Works really well for me.
 
You don't - just \\machinename\fah, depending on what you actually shared. Jump on irc when you can so I can walk you through the setup.


At work right now, soon as I get home Ill hop in IRC. I currently do it have pointed to the fah folder. Maybe I have something else jacked though.

This is how I do it. (I use a "light weight" webserver called cherokee, primarily because I've had some issues with Samba and domain authentication).
I'm going to assume you are using ubuntu.
If ssh isn't installed, install it now, best way to get to the command line in linux, where you need to be. (sudo apt-get install ssh). Download Putty on your windows box. Use putty to connect to your linux box for CLI access.

Verify indeed that folding is running, go to your folding directory and look at the FAHlog.txt file. You can use cat, vi, nano, more, less, etc to view it.
run sudo chmod +r FAHlog.txt

install cherokee (sudo apt-get install cherokee)
setup cherokee (sudo cherokee-admin -b xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) (replace the x's with your IP address)
go to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9090 on a web browser on your computer
Username is admin, the password will be in putty, you can highlight the password and then hit enter to copy it to the clipboard. Paste it in the password slot.
Once you are in cherokee admin, click on the General tab, then under it, click on "Ports to Listen". Change it from port 80 to some nonstandard port (I use 8008 myself), click save (top right hand part of the screen), and then do not restart when it gives you that option.
Click on the vservers tab, change the document root folder to your fah folder (assuming fah is your user) /home/fah/fah
Tab out of the field, and click save again. This time, do a graceful restart.
Close the browser, and then end the admin session of cherokee in putty (ctrl-c)
You can now see your fah folder by going to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8008

In HFM, tell it use Web Server, and the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8008 as the address.

Works really well for me.

Im going to try and set this up as well. Already have putty and ssh installed. This sounds like Id be able to view status when not at home?
 
At work right now, soon as I get home Ill hop in IRC. I currently do it have pointed to the fah folder. Maybe I have something else jacked though.



Im going to try and set this up as well. Already have putty and ssh installed. This sounds like Id be able to view status when not at home?

With Cherokee, you could if you opened up port 8008 on your home firewall and setup your router to go to that machine.
 
With Cherokee, you could if you opened up port 8008 on your home firewall and setup your router to go to that machine.


Awesome. Stoked to try this. Just found out I have to work late today though. Wont be off till 4ish :(
 
Honestly, I would use the v7 client as it is meant to do this.. but I know a lot of people don't seem to like it. I am not quite sure why as it uses the exact same cores and whatnot so it should produce the same ppd/etc.
 
Honestly, I would use the v7 client as it is meant to do this.. but I know a lot of people don't seem to like it. I am not quite sure why as it uses the exact same cores and whatnot so it should produce the same ppd/etc.


All about PPD I believe. The more resources you have up and running a GUI the less resources you have folding. Plus and someone connect me if Im wrong but being able to completely run my folding boxen through ssh is a huge plus. CLI makes this possible.

EDIT: Plus according to a "few" people. CLI is [H]. GUI's are for dweebs.

Thats right, I said dweebs.
 
You lost me boss, what is lmi?

Logmein, get in on your machine remotely....

Honestly, I would use the v7 client as it is meant to do this.. but I know a lot of people don't seem to like it. I am not quite sure why as it uses the exact same cores and whatnot so it should produce the same ppd/etc.

With the new fah install script that Musky/Tear have worked on, it automates the install and smb sharing of the fah folder. So from an HFM standpoint, \\hostname\fah from hfm gets you what you need. No passwords or "allowed ip" like v7 requires. It "just works".

I've used both v6 and v7 on windows. The only pro to v7 is if using gpu to give you an easy to use interface, otherwise v6.34 all the way for my dedicated folders.

m33p, if you are around later ping me I can give you a hand on this.
 
Logmein, get in on your machine remotely....



With the new fah install script that Musky/Tear have worked on, it automates the install and smb sharing of the fah folder. So from an HFM standpoint, \\hostname\fah from hfm gets you what you need. No passwords or "allowed ip" like v7 requires. It "just works".

I've used both v6 and v7 on windows. The only pro to v7 is if using gpu to give you an easy to use interface, otherwise v6.34 all the way for my dedicated folders.

m33p, if you are around later ping me I can give you a hand on this.

Headed home now. Ill have to slip the wife some GHB to get her to leave me alone then it's tweaking time....
 
I know sbinh mentioned this earlier but..., have you downloaded the new projects from stanford?

In HFM. Tools menu/Download Projects From Stanford.. This sounds suspiciously like the projects db hasn't been updated.
 
I did for him its setup now. Team 33, now with more hand holding:) in 6month He will bee training boobies.
 
I did for him its setup now. Team 33, now with more hand holding:) in 6month He will bee training boobies.

Oddly enough, after he logged out of team viewer on my comp, I found a TON of animal porn on my desktop. Was really weird...

In any case, it's setup now, as much so as I need it at the moment at least.
 
Back
Top