Setting up display system for FD, have some questions.

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

Being the techy at the fire house, I get to answer all of these questions. Here's the story:

We're setting up an emergency response alert system called "I Am Responding", which after users dial a number it goes through their system, and an internet enabled computer at the fire house displays on the screen(s) who's coming and what their ETA is. All we need is an internet enabled computer, which we have.

We're planning on setting up 2 LCD screens, which will probably be DVI connections. I already priced out DVI cable on monoprice.com, but I'm going to need to get the following questions answered:

1) The computer we have now only has VGA built into the mobo. Is it possible to go VGA to DVI? (I know newer video cards usually go DVI to VGA, so not sure if you can go the reverse way).

2) Both of these screens would be displaying the same thing. Is there a splitter that can be used, probably 1 VGA to 2 DVI to go to the screens? What kind of DVI connection would that be?

3) Where would you recommend purchasing possibly 25" screens or so that would be relatively cheap? I know we have Best Buy, HHGregg, Walmart in the area. Dunno if online would be cheaper or not, and I'm aware that Black Friday is right around the corner now. Would also be looking for wall mounts for the screens too.

Thanks!

What distance will the monitors be to the PC? Most current monitors will still have VGA inputs as well DVI.

Conversion is a bit tricky. You will notice if you search that there are cheap VGA to DVI adapters, however these are VGA to DVI-I (analogue to analogue). VGA to DVI-D (analogue to digital) convertors from what I know are much more expensive, to the point of being much more cost effective to replace the PC in question or adding in any budget video card with dvi output. The consideration here might be a cable length issues when using an analogue connection for your application.

Can the PC take a video card upgrade? As even the cheapest sub $30 cards could handle this application, and you can factor in the savings on adapters as well.

Splitters are available for VGA and DVI connections, these will basically display in clone mode (same thing on both screens).

Regarding buying the screen, make sure you buy one that has VESA mounts, a lot of cheaper consumer screens these days seem to not have those.

Back