Setting up Corsair H100i V2

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
It's been a long time since I used a water cooling solution, but I finally got it all together, I'm just not sure I have the proper method for the fan and pump/plug configuration.
So as per the Corsair and Gigabyte manual's, I tossed the pump plug into the boards CPU_OPT plug. The 2nd cable from the pump that has a Y splitter, with 2x 3 pin connectors, I figured both the rad fans plug into that...? anyways, I fired up the system, went into the Bios and set the CPU_OPT speed to full for the pump. Both the rad fan's connected to the Y splitter from the pump are both running, but I'm curious if that is the correct way to connect them, going through the Y splitter from the pump as appose to connecting the fans to the CPU_FAN header beside the CPU_OPT...or system fan headers?

Also, CPU temp is reporting 39/40c... it's the 7700k, so is that a normal temp to expect on water, idling in bios? I was expecting temps of 20c idle on water... but it's been a while since I've run water so maybe my expectations were high.

Memories of running my 533 Celeron @ 1GHz using a Peltier cooler :D

Last edited:
the fans can connect either way depending on how you want to control them . connected to the pump youll need to use corsair link. on the mobo you can use speedfan or whatever. temp does seem high though, should be just above ambient at idle. make sure its tight and maybe give it a bit of a wiggle. my h110 dropped a few degrees this way. if you have to you can reseat it but youll need new paste.

Last edited:
Going to reseat and re-paste, see if it falls.

Last edited:
What's your ambient? You can't expect 20C if your ambient is above 10 C or so. You should not at all be evaluating performance by idle temps. Load temps are where it's at. My overclocked 5820k sits at 35-ish at idle with a 420mm radiator dedicated to it - you'd say it's bad, but load temps are somewhere in mid-40s and low 50s under stress testing.

I redid the paste with some arctic silver, reseated the pump, and still my temps just being in the BIOS are 47-49c... With this H100i V2, the motherboard mounting bracket is loose when the bracket screws are in, but reading around the web apparently it's suppose to be that way. I keep thinking maybe I don't have it seated properly but it seems good, I tighten the thumb screws using my fingers as far as they'll go tightly, and then give maybe 1/4 - 1/2 turn more with a philips. I know not to over tighten. I'm at a lose, any ideas? Thanks,

how did the paste spread/contact look when you pulled it off the first time?

I redid the paste with some arctic silver, reseated the pump, and still my temps just being in the BIOS are 47-49c... With this H100i V2, the motherboard mounting bracket is loose when the bracket screws are in, but reading around the web apparently it's suppose to be that way. I keep thinking maybe I don't have it seated properly but it seems good, I tighten the thumb screws using my fingers as far as they'll go tightly, and then give maybe 1/4 - 1/2 turn more with a philips. I know not to over tighten. I'm at a lose, any ideas? Thanks,

Load temps man, post some old temps... CPUs often don't idle in the BIOS, they are running full speed and voltage.

Also by default, the CPU_OPT header is not going to spin at full speed, so you pump may barely be spinning. Set that to full speed.

Last edited:
how did the paste spread/contact look when you pulled it off the first time?

When I pulled off the pump, I noticed that there seemed to be a ring a few mm's in diameter where there was hardly any paste, looked like that's where the heatsink pressure was most. The outside of the ring, along with inside (middle of the cpu) there was a lot more paste. At glance it almost seems like the CPU has this centre area along with the very outter parts that are a hair lower... but then maybe that's just how the pump came off and the paste was. I'm installing Win 10 now, I'll check the temps from there.

Back