Setting up computers on a domain rather than workgroup?

BurntToast

2[H]4U
For years all I have done is setup and fix computers that where on a workgroup. Now I have to find a new job and most of these places are seeking people that know how to setup computers on a domain and running server 2k3 as a domain server.

What are the things that I need to learn in order to know what I'm talking about in the interview and on the job? I have about 4 computers on hand and I plan on installing server 2k3 on my laptop to setup as a domain server and to then config the desktop as normal domain workstations.

Now what is the reason people want their computers to be on a domain? is it to limit rights to certain users so that they cant f*ck up the stations? I have no idea.

Also, for a domain to work can the user be on the administrator account, or do they need to login to a non administrative account?

I plan on picking up the Microsoft Server 2K3 book and to him the comp this weekend learning what ever it is that I can to prepare me for the interview.

Thanks

Some benefits of domain based networks:
Central user administration (users, shares, applications, network resources)
Centralized security control

I have SBS2k3 at the small business my dad owns, and it is very simple to administrate. More complicated tasks may need manual tweaking through directly interfacing with AD, but for most general tasks, like setting up users, adding or removing permissions, printers, share drives etc are controlled through fairly simple wizards (at least for SBS, not certain if standard 2k3 is the same way).
Once you get used to it, AD and group policy isn't that bad either, but there is a learning curve.

Some important things to know:
1. How to add, remove, and modify user accounts
2. How to modify group policy to enforce security requirements as well as other desired controls.
3. How to design, apply, and configure security groups to simplify management of resource access.

I am sure there are things I have forgotten or do not know, as I am still yet a novice in server administration. After all, it is a side hobby at this point.

Administering a domain based LAN can be very complicated. Besides knowing how to do the things Darkstar mentioned and depending on your seniority and responisbilites you may also need to learn

AD Replication and Trusts from other Sites-Forests-Trees
Learn about containers, ACL's, Group Policy (this is what is used to keep users from fucking their workstations up so much)
Learn about disk quotas, maintenance, upgrading etc.
Integration with the applications the shop uses

Overall it is one of the largest topics there is to learn about. I have a book that I used to help me called Windows Server 2003 which carries through 1500 pages. Good Luck!

First thing is read articles in the MSDN or Microsoft Knowledge Base. They have EVERYTHING you need to know about setting up an AD (Active Directory) and Domain structure. If you are patient and can sift through it, you will learn a ton of info.

Also, in Server 2003, the "To Do List" is key. It is very useful in fixing small problems that can occur.

Back