Setting up AppleTV and Home Server

dmw16

Limp Gawd
Sorry, if this seems double-post-like, but this is meant as a spin-off from my other thread.

Currently, I have a Windows Home Server box that I use to store important files (with duplication backup) and I also use FireFly Media Server so that I can stream audio from the server to my and my wife's MBP's.

However, I am getting an AppleTV for Christmas and I was wondering if FireFly supports streaming video to the AppleTV? What other limitations might I run into by not having iTunes running on my server?

Windows Home Server does not support iTunes without some messing around with the executable and while I've tried that approach I've been less than satisfied with the results. Along with that, I am running out of storage space and before I commit more money to my current server I want to consider my options such as switching to a Mac Mini w/ OSX Server.

I'd appreciate any insight into using FireFly as a replacement for iTunes on my server. Also, if I want to use Airplay on my iPhone and/or iPad am I better off just making the server switch now rather than continuing to mess with WHS?

Thanks.

Back