Setting up an SR-2

SatTech

2[H]4U
Ok, I'm going to try and bring my SR-2 online today, but have a question regarding powering it. I have a Corsair 750w power supply with 1 8 pin ATX connector. I've seen pictures of this PS running SR-2 rigs. What's going to be the best way to get power to the 2nd 8 pin socket? I've also got a PCP&C 510w with 1 4 pin ATX and I've got a 4 pin to 8 pin conversion cable. Somewhere I've also got an adapter to daisy chain 2 power supplies.

With what I've got now, I'm thinking I can get it all powered up and running, but would rather not run 2 power supplies. This will be a dedicated bigadv rig for the time being, replacing my AMD1090/dual 296GTX folding rig.

Thanks for any help

o_O nice power......anyhow, arnt there adapters to use other plugs for powering the 8 pins?

Ok, I'm going to try and bring my SR-2 online today, but have a question regarding powering it. I have a Corsair 750w power supply with 1 8 pin ATX connector. I've seen pictures of this PS running SR-2 rigs. What's going to be the best way to get power to the 2nd 8 pin socket? I've also got a PCP&C 510w with 1 4 pin ATX and I've got a 4 pin to 8 pin conversion cable. Somewhere I've also got an adapter to daisy chain 2 power supplies.

With what I've got now, I'm thinking I can get it all powered up and running, but would rather not run 2 power supplies. This will be a dedicated bigadv rig for the time being, replacing my AMD1090/dual 296GTX folding rig.

Thanks for any help

I have 4 pin molex to 8 pin MB power adapters on both of mine. They both use a Corsair 750TX. If your 4 to 8 pin is for the square 4 pin, you may have to either get the right adapter or make one.

double 4 pin to 8 pin on my 750TX did the trick (well, the fan is rattling now so I swapped out to a PCP&C 750 but you get the idea)

Word of the wise, go ahead and connect all the power plugs except the one above PCIx slots

You should use
2x 8pins
2x 6pins
1x floppy (helps with USB devices dropping out at high OC)

fill everything from the word go and OCing will be much easier

double 4 pin to 8 pin on my 750TX did the trick (well, the fan is rattling now so I swapped out to a PCP&C 750 but you get the idea)

Word of the wise, go ahead and connect all the power plugs except the one above PCIx slots

You should use
2x 8pins
2x 6pins

I did this on both, but not the floppy.

I have a 750TX runing my L5640 system. I grabbed on of those BFG 1k PSU and that is running my main rig with E5530's

I have 4 pin molex to 8 pin MB power adapters on both of mine.

Somewhat similar here. With my HX850 I have 1 EPS and 1 PCIe from the psu itself, and then I use a 4pin molex -> 8pin EPS adapter and a 2x4pin molex -> 2x6pin PCIe adapter for the cpu 1 and the extra PCIe power connector for cards (this adapter works great because they're right by each other).

I am curious though what is really necessary. From Legit Reviews review of the SR-2 A2 just a few days ago:
Obviously, powering this much high end hardware takes a lot of power. The SR-2 has an EPS 8-pin connector for each CPU, with an optional 6-pin PCIe connector for those who plan to really crank up the overclock and plan on using liquid nitrogen.

TBH I didn't really look much at the instruction book to see if they specified using the extra plugs or not, but I figured I'd use them because I'd rather have more power than not enough power. They may only be necessary with "Extreme Cooling" (as the bios setting says), but I haven't seen evidence either way with any certainty one way or the other.

You should use
2x 8pins
2x 6pins

I did connect the PCIe power one. Primarily because I'm running 2 gpus, but also just because (as you said) I wanted to fill everything from the word go. I didn't, however, use the floppy one (I'm assuming you mean a 4pin molex). Looking over my board, I don't even see a 4pin molex power socket. :confused:

Last edited:

You should use
2x 8pins
2x 6pins

Not meaning to threadjack, but I am CLUELESS when it comes to PSUs.

8-Pins: 1 normally comes with the PSU. Adapter for the second one
6-Pins: can you use 6-pin PCIe from the PSU? Or is the female jack on PCIe different than the 6-Pin needed on MoBo?

No, they have been built with the PCIx type pins. This makes it easy and the manual suggests doing this because of the additional load of powering two entire CPUs and chipsets and what not once you OC heavily. There are 3 if memory serves me right, 1 for each CPU and one, that according to the manual, is for Quad SLI rigs, but wouldnt hurt for anything else since there are actually 2 of the chips that control the PCIx lanes I believe instead of the usual one chip.

As for the floppy plug, if you divide the board into 4 quadrants it is in the top left. Memory wants to say it is near the I/O panel region. And when I say floppy plug I mean the actual plug that is on the chain of molex plugs that went into the back of a floppy drive, small plug, most I've seen are white. It's believed that it helps with USB dropouts on OC's above 200, but like the manual and the website suggest, power every plug you can, the only one I'd consider not using is the QuadSLI one but that's solely because I'm not running any cards but a low profile video for the monitor.

Thanks for any help

You'll have no problems folding on the SR-2 with a 750TX. That's what I currently use, and I've only got one of the two 8 pins populated at this time. Go ahead and fill all the 6 pin PCI-E power ports though, for stability. ;)

I also ordered one of these 8 pin / molex adapters that you can use with your 750TX. Mine should be here in another couple of days or so, but it has been running fine without it.

Best of luck...

Ax

Alright, thanks for the help guys. Time to start disassembling the old rig...

As for the floppy plug, if you divide the board into 4 quadrants it is in the top left. Memory wants to say it is near the I/O panel region. And when I say floppy plug I mean the actual plug that is on the chain of molex plugs that went into the back of a floppy drive, small plug, most I've seen are white. It's believed that it helps with USB dropouts on OC's above 200, but like the manual and the website suggest, power every plug you can, the only one I'd consider not using is the QuadSLI one but that's solely because I'm not running any cards but a low profile video for the monitor.

I see it now, it has a dummy plug inserted into it and it's directly behind LAN1 and the first 2 USB ports. Hmm never noticed that before, I thought it was just a jumper. :eek:

Alright, found a PC P&C 750 watt power supply that had both an 8 pin and 4 pin ATX connectors. Used my 4 to 8 pin adapter and everything is up and running. Gotta watch some football, but it's currently working on a bigadv unit. Pair of 5650s with a quicky OC to 3.5 ghz...I'm going to let it run overnight and maybe start pushing it some tomorrow.

Alright, let it run overnight and seems to be doing pretty good. Currently working on a 2685 with a TPF of 14:30 for 110k ppd, with 56% completed. 5650s are at 3.6ghz, temps are mid 50s. I'm going to leave it alone for the remainder of this WU.

Do the numa trick. Your at our hex speeds and I get 12:50 on that unit
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I turned NUMA off in the BIOS. This is just a quickie BCLK overclock, with nothing else messed with right now. I need to bring my laptop upstairs with some tweaking guides and start messing around with it, but lack the motivation currently. I'm sure I'll be asking some questions here in the next couple of days.

Back