Setting up a WLAN betwen two houses..

arkaine

Limp Gawd
I recently bought a D-Link DWL-2100AP Access Point and i have one d-link
wireless pcmcia card on my computer and a wireless pci card on my sisters computer,
and it's all setup correctly and everything runs smoothly at my house.

Now, i have a friend who lives about 250m from my house. When i go outside my house, i can see the window of his room in a straght line, with no obstacles etc, so any signals would
run smoothly.

Now, we thought about setting up a wlan between our houses. Now, my question then
becomes; what is the best solution for this. I don't know if the signals from his card
will reach all the way to my house, haven't tried it yet, though the dlink website says
the AP can be used for distances up to 305meters. Perhaps an AP-to-AP bridge would be better? Will this work over longer distances than the above? And will the max distances
increase much if i buy an external antenna for the Access Point (i have that already for the
wireless nic's.) And my friends antenna stands in the window of his room.

Need some ideas on this :D

The thought had crossed my mind to do the same thing setting up a WLAN,
I have plans to set up a repeater or amplifier in the windows of both houses, I can't see how you can do better than that without strapping an AP to the underside of your neighbors mailbox without them knowing LOL

I actually got a signal now on both computers with a only the regular AP and two machines
at an ~250 meters distance. However, i'll to amplify the antenna signal with the link
you gave me. I'll take some pictures tomorrow to show you guys :D

Back