Setting up a wired and wireless network together. Help please.

hortus

Limp Gawd
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I having been looking around and don't see the answer. Endulge me please...

I have a BEFSR41 Linksys router and have recently bought my wife a laptop with a wireless setup. I want to keep the existing network here at the house, but I want to add a wireless router to the setup so that she can use the laptop throught the house. I am at a bit of a loss here as I seldom do much more with our networking than read and set up the system. Adding a new layer is a bit more than I have done in the past. I don't want to set up the whole house on wireless. It just seems like a large waste of funds on our miniscule budget. Any help would be appreciated. I get the feeling I am missing something here and it will be a simple solution.

ok need way more info...
what hardware do you have already?
and what is all setup on the network.

According to what he's saying, I think he has multiple computers wired in his house to a regular (non-wireless) router. In this case:

You have a really simple network, and upgrading it to allow the laptop to wirelessly connect to it should also prove to be very simple.

1) You could simply swap out the old router (where the modem and all the computers connect to) for a new router that includes wireless AP functionality (just find one with antennae on it...), and reconfigure it. Plug in all the computers to the ports on the back like you do with your regular router and every wired computer is set up. Activate the wireless in the router's setup and your laptop can connect.

2) You could "daisy chain" a second, wireless router or access point with the first one. This means plugging a second router into one of the ports on the back of the first router (where the computers plug into). Then you can use the second router or access point to accept the laptop's wireless signal. (Remember to turn off DHCP on the wireless router if you choose this, so that they don't fight eachother and work together.)

I'd go with #1. It's the easiest and simplest fix. #2 is useful if you're running out of ports and need more (which are provided by the second router/access point. Wireless ones come with ports on the back too).

You know, I completely spaced the idea that a router might still have wired connections on top of the wireless functionality. I ended up looking around on NewEgg and ordered a Buffalo router with both. Thus concludes another episode of the clueless being set straight by the clued.

I have no idea what i just said, but I said it. Thanks for the help.

Lol don't worry I get what you mean. No problem for the help.

But one thing I want to mention... If you're buying a brand new wireless router it might be wise to wait a bit until wireless pre-N is established, and then buy one of the brand spanking new unltra-fast wireless-N routers. (theoretically even higher speed than wired...)

Though if you're just an average user who doesn't need that then I'd suggest just buying a regular wireless-G router. Linksys has some nice ones veery similar to the wired one you have now if you don't want much to change. Setup would be 99% like what you had before.

EDIT: Just realized you already bought a router. Good luck. :)

Back