Setting Up a VPN *BEFSR41)

trckn4life

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a little info on setting up a VPN through a Linksys BEFSR41 router. They need to be able to access a quickbooks file on a Windows 2000 server.

I know the general idea in windows of how to go and setup a vpn...are there any special tricks with this router? What's involved on ther server side to setup a VPN? I see that Cisco has a VPN client...do I need this? I know that port forwarding will probably need to be setup. What ports need forwarded on for a VPN connection?

That depends..... On a lot....

Lets hear your topology first:

What devices/OS/boxes, etc. are you trying to connect?

For instance I have a Windows 2003 Server running RRAS on the perimeter of my network with a public IP. Often I have Windows XP users connecting to it via PPTP and L2TP.

I also have a Hotbrick 800/2 that runs L2TP with PSK that I connect to with a D-Link DI-804HV.

I think I understand once I read your email again, let us know if I'm right:

You need to connect THROUGH a Linksys router TO a Windows 2000 server.

bobdole369,
That sounds about right. There is going to be a Windows XP Client Box with a personal home connection (I don't know their setup right now) and the box she needs to connect TO is a 2000 server that is Behind the Linksys BEFSR1. I don't have a good program here to make a diagram of it but. I think right now the IP Scheme on the server and other computers on the network are static, but private IPs. (I imagine I could just setup NAT on the Linksys to point those ports to the server).

I know this may be something just silly and easy. But, I got the vpn working, I authenticated through the vpn from home into the 2000 server. The problem I'm having now is I need access to files on the server (that does the authentication). I can't see the server or other computers on the network (thought they might be off right now).

Is there anything in particular that I should look at? What might cause this. Also, there is not internet access when I'm connected through the vpn. I don't know if it's a problem with IP's and routing? I'd really appreciate any help.

Go to the networking tab of the VPN connection, select the TCP/IP option and hit properties then advanced. Uncheck the box that says "Use default gateway on remote network."

That will solve your problems with browsing the internet while connected to the VPN.

Back