Setting up a VM.

I would be [H]arder if i could get VMware and Vista 64 to play nice with out having to perform some sort of surgery, I know its posible but I just dont want to take the time (there i said it) I tried the MS virtual PC but I cannot seen to find where you limit each VM to 2 CPUs, so thats my little pet project for now.

I'm having the same issue, and looked into MS virtual PC. It only uses one core on multicore systems with no option of changing number of cores.

VMware Server for Linux.
The core application needed to run VMware Server and interact with it on the local machine. TAR Binary.

I assume that is the one we want?

That's odd... By any chance are you running the SP1 of Vista? If so then it may have broken something...

First be aware, if your normal update on Vista offers you SP-1 you have been chosen to be one of the special people. It was actually released before it was done and slows down the machine overall and prevents the affinity program from working.

When SP-1 is officialy released in it's repaird condition keep in mind it's not needed. XP required an SP because the OS was broken when released Vista isn't. All SP-1 will adress is some drivers and a few security issues.

Luck, fold on;)

When SP-1 is officialy released in it's repaird condition keep in mind it's not needed. XP required an SP because the OS was broken when released Vista isn't. All SP-1 will adress is some drivers and a few security issues.
SP-3 for XP is supposedly performance increasing in addition to bug fixes and driver update, from what I read. I'm anxiously awaiting it for that reason alone. I'm pretty satisfied with XP but wouldn't mind a free performance bump. Hoping it will help F@H. ;)

Also do you guys install vmserver ontop of windows or how do you guys do it exactly... cuz I'm not a linux person and am finding it nearly impossible to work with.

Any help?

I download the top one.
"VMware Server for Windows Operating Systems". A master installer file containing all Windows components of VMware Server.
Once that is downloaded, just run the ***.exe to install it.

Luck ............ :D

LOL... I thought you were running it on linux.

Oye... does it matter if it is a 32bit xp and you wanna run 64bit linux vm's?

You run the Linux64 OS's inside the Windoze VMWare Server.
It does not matter if it 64 or 32 bit Windoze.

I dont know that much Linux so I try not to do to much working with it ...... :p

Luck .............. :D

Also do you guys install vmserver ontop of windows or how do you guys do it exactly... cuz I'm not a linux person and am finding it nearly impossible to work with.

Any help?

VM server installs just like a normal Windows program. Please note, before you start the program be sure your network has become active, VM tends to slow that function down.

Take your favorite choice for Linux (Suse 10.3, 64 the single CD down load is well done and you can work with it like windows) and download it in typical ISO format.

No need to burn a CD or anything else, all you need is the ISO file. Put that file in its own directory, the name doesn’t matter as long as you remember where you put it.

Start VM server and you should be presented with a screen with 4 spaces for check marks, the top one, Local Hosts should be checked as default. Click ok and click new machine. The configuration from there is pretty straight forward, you can choose to add or delete components but as a rule the default setting work fine except don’t forget to check 2 cores. Under hardware click the CD symbol and you will see you have a choice to either use the drive itself or choose the directory where you saved your ISO file. Browse to the ISO file and again, click ok.

Next click on the green arrow or choose the command Start. The install will start and in a short time you will have a new Linux machine running inside windows. If you would like a second machine again, choose New Machine and repeat the process.

That is a simple explanation but honestly the whole process isn’t that hard.

Enjoy;)

Sweet, thank you Tiger... sorry obviously this is my first time doing this.

Username & Password
cd ~/foldingathome
curl -O http://ra.venomar.ee/~ivo/finstall
chmod +x finstall
./finstall linux smp

On the curl it gives me a can't resolve host error... any clues? Is there an alternative site to get it from?

Figured it out this morning... its a typo in the above info.

curl -O http://ra.vendomar.ee/~ivo/finstall

Vendo versus veno

UPDATE:

1 instance is up and running. Approx 2100PPD YEAH!!!! /wiggle wiggle (85.5P/hr)

Now to clone it.

In your cloning directions. I had to login as root otherwise the files you wish to edit are read only.
I found it easier to use "rm" and "rmdir" to remove all the files in the work directory go to the directory and do a rm *.* then back up a directory and use rmdir work

Few followup Questions:
How do you know the VM's have properly split the cores of a quad core? Each is set for 2 cpus, but how do you know they split them right?

Reason I ask is I have temps like this 55 55 55 52

It kinda looks like that lsast core might not be utilized.

Thanks much I hope i edited all those files correct.

I did go back and run the QD utility and infact each version of F@H is working on a different protein
Run 14, Clone 508, generation 33 vs Run 15, Clone 109, generation 33

Thanks for any input and I'm still nervous if I got this all setup right :)

Update: Temps are now 56 56 55 54 still a bit odd the last core is cooler :)

Final Update: Looking at Task Manager in Windows it shows each core hovering at 95-98% usage so I am fairly certain all cores are indeed activated. I will post another post shortly asking a slew of follow-up questions.

Closing Thoughts:
My [email protected] = 2.8kPPD with windows SMP
My [email protected] = 4.1kPPD with VM'd Linux SMP's

GAIN: 1.3k (That gain alone is damn close to both my PS3 and my P4 machine!!! 1.7k vs 1.3k)

Is it totally simple to do NO, is it worth it yes! Each VM is producing 85.5 P/hr which is approx 2052PPD (Not too shabby)

Ok now things to do to tweak the VMs furhter:

1. How can I get the core % to 100% versus 95-98%?

2. Will putting the priority at Low work better than idle? (This is a folding only machine)

3. Anyone able to provide a bit of help on how to gain remote access to the box? I know people like Tigerbitten do this

4. Anything else that can be done to eek a bit more performance? Shut down all unnecessary services in windows? etc

5. Is there a way to automate VM starting and Loading both VM's? I'd like for this machine to be able to power itself back on after a power outtage or some other reset.

Thanks to all that have helped and continue to help Newbs like me! :) You guys rock!

Use some standard clients to use up the CPU.

as in standard windows smp client? Sorry I just wanna be clear.

This won't bog down the production will it? I mean 3 folding clients running to me sounds like I might result in bogging things down.

I would have typed SMP if I meant SMP.

reason I ask is each of the 4 cores is showing 95-98% usage, so the only way to siphon off those last few points would be to use the SMP version no?

Remember I'm very new to this, nothing personal, just trying to fully understand everything so I ask an asston of questions.

No. There's no way you'd meet SMP deadlines with 2-5% of a CPU.

Here is a good example of using dual-VMs while using up spare cycles with the standard client:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031420233&postcount=35

Hmm interesting, but even with the smp client going and small or little whatever the configuration setting set would that not meet deadlines? Really just trying to eek out another 100-200PPD if that... 4100x5% = 200ish PPD..

Hmm interesting, but even with the smp client going and small or little whatever the configuration setting set would that not meet deadlines?

No. SMP is a high-performance client with tight deadlines and very little flexibility. Just run the standard client on top of the dual-VMs like we said.

Closing Thoughts:
My [email protected] = 2.8kPPD with windows SMP
My [email protected] = 4.1kPPD with VM'd Linux SMP's

GAIN: 1.3k (That gain alone is damn close to both my PS3 and my P4 machine!!! 1.7k vs 1.3k)

Is this typical ppd running 2 windows smp clients? I am planning to run 1 win smp and 1 vm....just cuz i want to have a semi responsive box for the rest of my everyday tasks but still want to get the most work done possible.

Spooge,

My box is fairly responsive... I wa able to use it some without issue. I think by adding that last standard client I may in fact put the machine to where it may not be responsive.

I'm not saying gaming responsive.. but it was definitely useable.

Is this typical ppd running 2 windows smp clients? I am planning to run 1 win smp and 1 vm....just cuz i want to have a semi responsive box for the rest of my everyday tasks but still want to get the most work done possible.

I've been trying that with my new quad but having problems. I was running the VM on the c2d before my upgrade and it was very stable. It still running great under the quad, but every time I try to get the windows smp client going I get I/O errors from the win smp client. I followed the install instructions with the win smp client - ran install.bat, all that stuff, but no go.

So I'm still running the VM and 2 regular clients, which sure is giving me a nice ramp, but I can do better.

I'm going to keep fiddling with it, but is anyone out there able to run both VM and Win SMP on one quad?

Are you running 32 or 64 bit? I found 32 bit easier to set up and run for some reason, if your on 64 check the permissions (security) folder you installed the SMP client to and allow you, system, users full control. Worked for me.

when running the command
curl -O http://ra.vendormar.ee/~ivo/finstall

I get the following error

curl: (6) couldn't resolve host 'ra.vendomar.ee'

I did see Sunin's comments earlier and did change the URL I was going after.

Additional Information:
I'm on a wireless connection.
VM Ware has created the following additional connections.

when running the command
curl -O http://ra.vendormar.ee/~ivo/finstall

I get the following error

curl: (6) couldn't resolve host 'ra.vendomar.ee'

I did see Sunin's comments earlier and did change the URL I was going after.

Additional Information:
I'm on a wireless connection.
VM Ware has created the following additional connections.
- VMware Network Adapter VMnet1
- VMware Network Adapter VMnet8

Connection VMnet1 seems to be receiving/sending ok
Connection VMnet8 seems to be sending, but not receiving anything

I have gone to VM | Removable Devices | Ethernet | Edit to confirm that Device Status is connected and connect at power on.

Network connection is Bridged. I also did try NAT | Host only | Custom (pointing to VMnet1 and VMnet8).

I continue to receive the same error. I have confirmed that I can ping that address via command window as well as IE. When setting up the Linux environment, it did pass the ethernet check.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

If it cannot resolve the address, there is a issue with DNS. Look in linux if DNS is well configured by doing a ipconfig to see if there are IP addresses filled for the DNS servers. If not, you couldn't browse at all.

A good way to confirm this is to enter 194.204.4.34 in place of ra.vendomar.ee ;)

If it cannot resolve the address, there is a issue with DNS. Look in linux if DNS is well configured by doing a ipconfig to see if there are IP addresses filled for the DNS servers. If not, you couldn't browse at all.

A good way to confirm this is to enter 194.204.4.34 in place of ra.vendomar.ee ;)

I think I've found a solution and am testing it out.

Basically, VM Ware ethernet connections are tied to eth0 which is the wired connection. I am on a wireless ethernet connection. Apparently this is a known issue and there seems to be a workaround. I'm trying it out and will report back when done.

In VMWare, select Host -> Virtual Network Settings... then edit so the VMNet is tied to the right card (If you want to use the wireless card, pick this and tie to VMNet0).

In VMWare, select Host -> Virtual Network Settings... then edit so the VMNet is tied to the right card (If you want to use the wireless card, pick this and tie to VMNet0).

That seems to be the ticket. VM Ware was tying to the ethernet by default. When I bound it to the wireless card, all was good.

Thanks!!

Glad to hear this. I know this trick because I had to setup a box with 3 nics (1 being local and 2 strictly for the VM running Endian Firewall). Doing this in Virtual Network Settings let me do this easily.

I've gotten around to playing with this again. I've got a VM set up and I believe it's ready to start folding. I'm going to kick it off when my machine finishes with the WU it is currently on.

I do have a question though. I'm running Vista x64 Home Premium. You indicate that I should be able to see the samba share in windows. Total noob question. Where the hell am I supposed to look? I've looked in a couple of places, but am for darn sure I can't find it. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

To find all my shares I follow the path ......
My Network Places -> Search for Computers -> Search.

If its working correctly, you should see all your network shares in there.

Luck ......... :D

capreppy, did you configure Samba in the guest OS under VM ? If yes, do what Tigerbiten said.

Back