setting up a subdomain in IIS 6??

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
I have searched and searched, but can find any step by step guides on the exact method on setting up a subdomain in IIS.

Ive got DNS and IIS running fine and if I type in the server's IP I get the standard IIS no page here yet site.

However, I can for the life of my figure out how to make subdomains on this primary website that I have. Can anyone help!

I looked though what you linked briefly but does it mention how to setup subdomains in DNS then?

On your DNS server, you will have a zone. Let's call that zone "company.com". Let's also assume you have three websites hosted on a single IIS server. The IPs for each web site are 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 and 3.3.3.3. You want the following DNS layout:

1.1.1.1 = company.com
1.1.1.1 = www.company.com
2.2.2.2 = forums.company.com
3.3.3.3 = talk.forums.company.com

Open the DNS MMC snapin from the administrative tools on your DNS server. Expand the "company.com" zone.

1.1.1.1 = company.com - Right click "company.com" and select new host (A). Leave the name field blank. Enter 1.1.1.1 for the IP. When you are finished, you should see the record at the top of the list called (same as parent). Do not do this the zone for "company.com" is used for Active Directory. Only do this for external DNS zones in a split DNS scenerio.
1.1.1.1 = www.company.com - RIght click "company.com" and select new host (A). Name this one "www". Enter 1.1.1.1 for the IP.

Here where it starts to get tricky. "forums" is both a subdomain of "company.com" and a host. To create the subdomain, right click "company.com" and click "New Domain". Name this new domain "forums". Right click the new subdomain and click "New Host (A)". Leave name blank and enter 2.2.2.2 for the IP.

For "talk.forums.company.com", follow the same process for "www.company.com" but under the "forums.company.com" subdomain

This is all based on MS DNS, but could be adopted for any DNS system. I apologize if I have over-explain/over-simplfied my explination. I feel the best way to explain some thing is to give an example.

both domain and subdomain will have the same IP. How will this affect the instructions you have given if both IP's are the same?

Once you setup your dns through your dns host you should be able to use host headers for your subdomain. I haven't actually setup host header sites with subdomains, only unique FQDN sites that have the same primary domain name. ie [email protected] and [email protected] but the same principles should apply. I don't know if a workstation version of IIS supports host headers though. Never really worked with XP or 2000 pro so if your not running a Windows server OS this may not work for you. If you are just setup each site individually, then use host headers to direct traffic properly

Back