Setting up a simple static routing home network

zeroARMY

[H]ard|Gawd
I have it setup, but I'm not sure I'm getting the best performance and have the best configuration.

Router is Linksys BEFSR41 V3 with 1.06.01 firmware. ISP is Comcast and all PCs have Windows XP.

Here's what I did:
- Local DHCP Server is Disabled in Basic Setup
- In TCP/IP Network Properties - IP Address is the address I want for that PC, Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and default Gateway is the router right? (192.168.1.1, not the one on the Status page?)

What I need:
- In TCP/IP Network Properties - What do I put? Do I put the addresses Static DNS1 and Static DNS2 on the Status page for the Preferred and the Alternate?
- In Static Router under Advanced Routing in Setup, do I need setup the Entries?

Thanks for any help :)

Well, you're not describing static routing, just static IPs (FYI).

The real question, though, is "why are you doing this?" Setting up a static IP for a server makes sense (though I think setting up reserved DHCP makes more sense), but otherwise... you're just creating work for yourself. There's no measurable performance difference in static vs dynamic IPs, and minimal (i.e. not observed in your environment) for static vs dynamic routing.

Anyway, for proper settings, you can always enable DHCP, see what your computers come up as, then force them statically to those settings. Note that bad things will happen if, say, Comcast moves their DNS servers. Not at all likely, but possible.

As for the static routing tab in the router config... don't touch it. You have no reason to use static routing.

Where did you get that firmware for the befsr41 v3? The latest I'm seeing on linksys's website is 1.05.00. :mad: I would love to see if the new firmware fixes some of the problems I've had.

Back