Setting up a Server/hub/firewall

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
My dad's business is starting to expand and I think it is time for a little bit of an upgrade. Right now the 'server' that we use is a 1GHz AMD with 256Mb RAM, and a 40Gb IDE HDD. The only firewall we have is the one pre-installed on the Belkin hub that we are using. That hub then outputs to a 20 port router.

Currently there are 7 computers on the network here, so I don't need anything huge.

The plan:

Build a new system. The specs I am thinking are a 2.0GHz single core processor, 1 Gb (2x512) RAM. I don't know what to use for a motherboard so i need help with that. And 2x 80Gb WD SATA Drives in RAID. (What RAID config should I use?)

I will also buy a few network cards.

What I want to do is to replace the hub with this machine.

On it, I want to set up a SPAM filter, a firewall, and some program to set web permissions. Also, I want to be able to shut off certain ports after a certain time. If anyone know anything about these programs, I would be very greatful if you could recommend what to get.

Also, what OS should I use?

If you recommend away from anything or more toward something else, let me know. I have never done this before so anything will help.

Thanks guys.

hey DeadlyAura. :)

Hows that via board I sold you working out?

Anyway, I'd use a ClarkConnect install to accomplish what you want. You won't need any hardware and the software is managed for you for a minimal cost.

If you don't want to use that then you should look at Microsoft Small Business Server 2003.

Personally, I use Clarkconnect at my home and office as a firewall\router\etc and I use SBS server at my office for domain security, backups, document synchronization, sharepoint among other things.

ClarkConnect by itself is a great tool and if you pair it with SBS you have excellent features and security. Of course, that would require a second server. I think you'd be cool with just a CC install on your current hardware. Look at it this way, its free to try. :)

Hey man! Yeah, that board is working great. My dad is using it as him main PC, I've got 1Gb DDR400 in there and it's pretty quick. Sure, it isn't as fast as I would like, but for him, its perfect.

Anyways, I'll go try that now. Only thing is, I'll need to reconfigure the network setup. No big deal. Thanks though.

I'm thinkig of a hardware upgrade just because the business is growing, and that hardware is OLD. I'd like that server to hold out for as long as possible.

>>My dad's business is starting to expand....

How large a business are we talking about?

Is the current server being backed up every night?

For an "expanding business" I honestly would not do a hand built, parts from Newegg, server. You should be looking at entry level servers from Dell/HP/IBM etc. (I prefer Dell).

I stress again the need for backups. I assume the business depends on the data that's on the server. All hard drives fail, it's just a question of when.

Are you prepared to deal with failures on the server?

>>Also, what OS should I use?

If you are asking questions like this, you need to find competent help. Your Dad's business is no place to be learning the IT trade.

If you are asking questions like this, you need to find competent help. Your Dad's business is no place to be learning the IT trade.

:rolleyes:

Which is why I came here. Thanks...

Anyway, I've never built a server PC before. I know of a few OS's to use, but I didn't know what was recommended.

If you had read my whole post, you would see the answer to your question as well. There are 7 PCs plus the server.

Expanding, I meant growing larger, more data, more employees, not more PCs.

Yes we do back-up every night. We back-up the compressed data files from the repair program that we use as well as the compressed files from QuickBooks. We back up both on two seperate 1Gb Flash Sticks. Being compressed, it is able to fit at this point. The rest of the data on the server is not as vital, but is recoverable if necessary. Occasionally we do an entire server back-up.

Now please, chill out and help me man. I appreciate that you recommended servers to use, but please, help me out with the rest. You are right, I do need competent help, that is why I came here before trying it on my own.

Sorry, I don't mean to beat up on you.

I service small businesses just like your Dad's. I'm all the time being asked to help clean up disasters by panicked business owners.

I realize small businesses need to save a buck every way they can, but skimping on IT equipment is not wise. I still encourage you to not build a server from off the shelf parts.

Dell has brand new servers starting at $449 right now. Buy a box that is designed to be a server and has a warranty.

As for the OS, if they are just running Quickbooks and doing file/print sharing on 7 clients, then WinXP Pro is just fine for that. Any more than that, and you should start looking at SBS2003.

Sorry, I don't mean to beat up on you.

I service small businesses just like your Dad's. I'm all the time being asked to help clean up disasters by panicked business owners.

I realize small businesses need to save a buck every way they can, but skimping on IT equipment is not wise. I still encourage you to not build a server from off the shelf parts.

Dell has brand new servers starting at $449 right now. Buy a box that is designed to be a server and has a warranty.

As for the OS, if they are just running Quickbooks and doing file/print sharing on 7 clients, then WinXP Pro is just fine for that. Any more than that, and you should start looking at SBS2003.

Ok thanks. I actually took a look at ClarkConnect. I got it installed and started to configure it. Over the weekend when no on is there, I need to disconnect the internet and phone lines (phone comes through the same line) and hook it all into the new machine. Then I need to finish configuring it and getting it all up and running.

I actually kept the server that we had and was able to get my hands on a friends PIII 800MHz Gateway that they were trashing. After a reformat and an install of ClarkConnect, it runs immensely faster. It should be enough power for the config that we are running.

Back