Setting up a SATA drive

coffee33

[H]ard|Gawd
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
1-80G WD Caviar 7200RPM 8MB Cache

I have looked everywhere on installing this drive but nothing...I'm doing something wrong.
I don't have a floppy drive either. I can install one if needed.
When trying to install winxp pro it goes into set-up but says theres no hd installed.
I have the sata hd on sata 1 and have enabled sata in the bios.
Any suggestions?
TY!

yup.. you need to install that floppy...

boot from the xp cd and hit F6 when it asks if you need to install additional drivers..
watch out it comes and goes quickly....

follow directions and load the drivers from the floppies that came with the system

and your done.. nice and easy

hulksterjoe said:
yup.. you need to install that floppy...

boot from the xp cd and hit F6 when it asks if you need to install additional drivers..
watch out it comes and goes quickly....

follow directions and load the drivers from the floppies that came with the system

and your done.. nice and easy

Damn xp hehe
Well I guess I install my old hard drive and drop the k8v cd in and make a floppy with that?
Sorry, I'm so lost hehe.

Ok, made the floppy with viaraid and hit f6 loaded the xp drivers and it told me to remove the floppy and reboot. I did and I still had no HD detected so I hit f1 like it told me and it went back into xp set-up...now imlost cause it looks like it wants me to do the samething over again. hehe
Help! :)

If you don't see the HD being detected by the BIOS drivers won't do a god damn thing (unless of corse it is a raid only SATA chip).

Check to see if you have any BIOS settings for legacy or native mode when concering IDE and play around with thoose settings...

Also, you might want to check out nLite http://nuhi.msfn.org/

It's a program that allows you to add drivers to the XP install CD so that you don't have to have an extra floppy handy. When it's done, it creates a bootable ISO that you can burn and keep as a spare for a quick re-install.

J-Mag said:
If you don't see the HD being detected by the BIOS drivers won't do a god damn thing (unless of corse it is a raid only SATA chip).

Check to see if you have any BIOS settings for legacy or native mode when concering IDE and play around with thoose settings...

Yeah it has via raid or promise...but im new to sata set up and I'm stuck. :confused:

J-Mag said:
well what did you do?
I enabled the via boot deal in the bios and then went threw f6 set up, took out floppy, rebooted, and let it boot from HD and it went into set-up.
Thanks a ton for helping!
:)

Why is it anytime I hear about folks still having to use a floppy disk, I tend to get a little pissed? Its old technology, can't the super geeks come up with a solution to this already :rolleyes: Jesus, I couldn't tell you where my old floppy is today.. In hell I hope, but who knows.

Back