Setting up a PCMCIA NIC in Win2k

cv643d

Limp Gawd
So it has been some years since I have used Windows 2000. A customer I occasionaly work for as a support guy asked me to take his notebook with Windows 2000 and set up the network card for it.

The network card is a PCMCIA type and it is fully installed with drivers and working, according to Win2K.

However, I may sound like a noob now, I do not seem to remember how you can set the IP adress for the card in Win2k?

I do not find any NIC to set up in the control panel and neither any icons for adding a NIC, only ways to add modems and install internet through modems.

Any guidance would be very much needed! Help me refresh my memory :D

Thanks!

Device Manager - Network Adapters might help.

Usually on the Start Menu under the Control Panel (if you expand the menus) you'll see the Network Connections entry, and that should lead you to the Network adapters where you could right-click on the PC card NIC and work from there.

Hope this helps...

But the NIC wont show up there. I know it is working since it shows up in the hardware list.

The only thing showing up are old Modem settings. So it should show up automatically there?

OK, the problems just keep coming.

Now I have added the PCMCIA card and I can see it in the device manager. I right click it and go to properties. Then I select add because I want to add TCP/IP protocol. But TCP/IP protocoll is missing!

Only NetBEUI, Appletalk and some other protocols are there. Do you have to reinstall Win2k?

Back