Setting up a LAN party... wanna use DC++

I want to block Windows File Sharing and use DC++, I have a 24 port Gigabit router. Question is, to block Windows File sharing entirely, enable DC++ and still play games (UT, Quake, COD, TF2), do I need a *nix box as a router, or are there just certain protocols and ports I need to turn on and off on the hardware router?

Part of a lan party is the file sharing, why would you want to take that away???!???

personally, i've always thought this would be a great option for LAN parties. closing DC++ would be easier than turning off file sharing and should also help cut down on the traffic of people browsing the network looking for shares. plus you get the benefit of a search option using DC++.

DC++ is a direct connect file sharing program, they use it at quakecon and disable Windows File Sharing to prevent the spread of SMB/CIFS-based viruses. I just need to know if this can be done through the router itself by blocking certain ports/protocols or if I need to throw a *nix box together, and use it as a DHCP server/router rather that the 24port hardware one. And if so, what ports and protocols need to be blocked to accomplish this.

Not trying to kill file sharing, just make sure it's somewhat secure.

Back