Setting up a IP printer on a home network.

user3657

Limp Gawd
my friend just got an asus wireless router. I am going over to set it up tomorrow. She has an ethernet printer and would like this setup too.

Whats the best course of action to do this? I am going to set the router to hand out dchp. How would i make sure the printer keeps its ip address? Or if i put the printer on static, would there be any chance of any other computer picking up the same ip?

???

set the print server up as x.x.x.254, should be well outside of the ip range and you won't have to do anything else.

Set a DHCP reservation on the router for the printer...you select an IP address...say, .20..and it's bound using the MAC address.

Set a DHCP reservation on the router for the printer...you select an IP address...say, .20..and it's bound using the MAC address.

Agreed with that. Easiest way. You could also just set up the router's DHCP service range to lets say .2 to .100 and then give the printer a static of .101 .

eh, I have swapped routers a lot. I have never had to reconfigure the setting by putting it on the print server.

thanks, this is what I did. For some reason I didnt think this would be on a home router and automaticly didnt even think about it. Everything went great.

Back