Setting up a home DNS server

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
So I setup a dns server at home. The only problem I am having is pcs with static ips, I can't ping them by name.

I am running a ddwrt router with my local dns server set to local dns. The router is giving out the local dns to dhcp addresses and all of those pcs are ping able.

if you have static ip on a PC then it hasn't had the DNS server set...

you're gonna have to set the DNS server in those machines as well...

What type of DNS server? BIND, Windows, ? Do you have a forward zone established?

You might want to check if "Register this connection's address in DNS" is checked on your statically assigned clients. Also, these clients will need to have their DNS set to your new DNS server.

So I am going to delete the dns server and rebuild it. Any good guides to follow?

As in rebuild the entire OS, or just uninstall/reinstall DNS server? There's no need to rebuild it. If I were you, I would learn how the DNS system works and operates. It's very simple, really. Don't over think it.

A forward zone is what you're familiar with on a daily basis. An entry in a foward zone looks like this:

mypc A 192.168.1.100

When you ping mypc, your host will do a lookup for the A record entry for mypc and start pinging 192.168.1.100.

Here's a technet guide: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772774%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I feel like such a noob! The problem was the firewall. Turned it off and I can rdp to static servers by name.

I feel like such a noob! The problem was the firewall. Turned it off and I can rdp to static servers by name.

Then it's blocking port 53. Allow TCP/UDP on that port from the clients to the server and they will be able to resolve the host name.

I'd assume more likely he means the windows firewall on the hosts and they now respond to netbios lookups. DDWRT runs dnsmasq (iirc) so will return dns records for any clients it's dealt dhcp leases too or to any static names configured to it, as he won't be getting it from dhcp and I doubt he's configure static addresses in the dnsmasq config the resolution will be coming from netbios assuming windows hosts or linux/bsd with samba.

I'd assume more likely he means the windows firewall on the hosts and they now respond to netbios lookups. DDWRT runs dnsmasq (iirc) so will return dns records for any clients it's dealt dhcp leases too or to any static names configured to it, as he won't be getting it from dhcp and I doubt he's configure static addresses in the dnsmasq config the resolution will be coming from netbios assuming windows hosts or linux/bsd with samba.

He specifically said it's not working for clients with static IPs.

He specifically said it's not working for clients with static IPs.

Yes but then he says that which would infer to me that it's now working. Which is should do with windows clients on the same subnet as netbios will do the work for short names.

Back