• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Setting Up A Home Data Network?

Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
22
Hello there gents,

I wish to make my digital content available on my TV and Android phone as well as my PC, so can anyone suggest what my best option is to achieve that given that my current hardware consists of the aforementioned, plus a 360 and a wifi network, for the least amount of money possible.

I investigated a NAS, but they're extortionate. Is an HTPC worth it if it's filled with cheap components, or am I better off just using my 360 to access content through the TV? Further, am I better off just adding loads of drives to my main PC(it currently only has a single 1Tb drive, plus a 1Tb external), or is building my own NAS for cheap a possibility?

I'd like to avoid going over 200 pounds, but I already have the E5200 cpu, 2 gigs of RAM, and 9600GTX graphics card from my old rig.

Any suggestions you have are welcome.
 
You could very easily set up a low cost NAS that you build yourself, and stream content to your 360. You could also very easily build an HTPC and directly play video off of that.

The hardware you have is more than adequate to perform either of those tasks.
 
Having tried both the the 360 and the PS3 in media player roles, I would recommend an HTPC, which is where I ended up. No worries about format support, lots of options for interfaces. Just less painful in general.
 
Back
Top