Setting up a guest accont (XP)

Paully's5.0

Limp Gawd
Alright guys we have a new roomy moving in, with no computer, and I am garunteeing that he will want to use mine for the internet once and a while. I dont' know him too well, so of course I don't want to give him full acces to my computer.

I have setup a guest account so that he can't change anything delete, or install programs. But how can I make some of my drives "hidden" so that he can't see them, or just lock them all out. Is there a clear cut way to do this?

Basically I just want him to be able to use the net, maybe a couple IM programs, listen to my music and able to acess ms office. But not be able to snoop through my system.

Assuming you've turned off simple file sharing, go to the security tab, add his account by name, and Deny access.

SFS is disabled from any folder via tools->folder options->view->simple file sharing (checkbox at bottom)
Security is then accessed via context menu (right click)

Make sure his user name in the User Account menu is set to "Guest" or "User"

BTW, if you deny him access to drives, how do you expect him to save stuff with MS office? Enless you set aside a folder for him. If you are using XP home or Pro make sure there is a PW on your account. Otherwise there is no use for all these blocks. Also make sure there is a PW on the main admin account, the one that was automatically created when you installed the OS.

ComputerBox34 said:
Make sure his user name in the User Account menu is set to "Guest" or "User"

BTW, if you deny him access to drives, how do you expect him to save stuff with MS office? Enless you set aside a folder for him. If you are using XP home or Pro make sure there is a PW on your account. Otherwise there is no use for all these blocks. Also make sure there is a PW on the main admin account, the one that was automatically created when you installed the OS.

Have a password already, my main drive I don't want hidden, but my other drives where I save all my info, I want hidden.

Paully's5.0 said:
Have a password already, my main drive I don't want hidden, but my other drives where I save all my info, I want hidden.

OK....

Well if you right click them and hit sharing and security, you'll see a permissions tab. Delete "Everyone" and only put yourself and then add your roommate's user name and check deny on all check boxes. These drives won't be hidden. He could see the name and the properties of the drive but he won't be able to get in.

ComputerBox34 said:
OK....

Well if you right click them and hit sharing and security, you'll see a permissions tab. Delete "Everyone" and only put yourself and then add your roommate's user name and check deny on all check boxes. These drives won't be hidden. He could see the name and the properties of the drive but he won't be able to get in.
It's fine to leave "Everyone" as Deny takes precedence over Allow. It'll also make maintenance easier in the long run to leave it alone.

Of course, if you want to assume that you're the only person who should ever regularly see the data, then deleting "Everyone" makes sense.

ComputerBox34 said:
OK....

Help me out here, I right click and don't get anyting about "sharing and security" and there is nothing about security in the properties either.

***me feel stupid***

Paully's5.0 said:
Help me out here, I right click and don't get anyting about "sharing and security" and there is nothing about security in the properties either.

***me feel stupid***

Alright then,

Right Click
Properties
There SHOULD be a Security Tab
It's in there

If not, press
Start
Run
services.msc
OK
Scroll Down to the one that says "Server"
Then Right click,
HitEnable
It should be there now

Well thanks for the help, I figured out what the problem was, and yes I still feel stupid. The drrive that I wanted to restrict access too was formated fat32, I can't remember why I formatted it like that, but I reformatted it, and now I am good to go!!

Duh

Paully's5.0 said:
Well thanks for the help, I figured out what the problem was, and yes I still feel stupid. The drrive that I wanted to restrict access too was formated fat32, I can't remember why I formatted it like that, but I reformatted it, and now I am good to go!!

Duh

That always help.

Good luck with the new room mate.

Back