Setting up a FREE domain network?

Hey all,

for the past several months ive been learning the wonders of Novell's delightful Netware system, and its damn good! (Better than MS in my opinionion) but anyway, i want to implement many of its features into my home network, would save me LOADS of effort :D

Ive been looking into the options, MS is a no, not for its price, and while the server trial works, reinstalling every 130 days isnt an idea, Netware is good, but the price again. As for a linux option. well it seems that what was once a free system wants money now! I can understand for enterprise servers, but what about us cheap people who just want to learn more and expand our knowledge?

So, Ideally, i want to be running Netware, and Zenworks desktop managment (see Novell site if you need to) Without the price tag, and without stealing it!

So all you nice people, hit me with your suggestions!

or get real friendly with the admin of a network that uses netware and "borrow" it

omega-x said:
or get real friendly with the admin of a network
normally my mind isn't very dirty but
the 'REAL friendly part' is what got me...
reminds me of the part in gone in 60 seconds when the two are talking about car parts and getting frisky
imagine two geeks doing that in a NOC oh jeez ima dork :eek: :eek:
just to make sure the dirty guys among you know: no, I'm not available. I love my mako. she's my one and only.

The thought is funny dirty talk in binary :rolleyes:

Still, The [H] needs more women like u LadyJaqie. makes us true geeks think there could be women out there! :D

thanks for all the input, im trying OpenLDAP, tho its doing my head in :confused:
Il keep trying

thanks for all the input!

Future versions of Netware will be Linux based (its actually based on a BSD kernal now, hench Novell/SCO battle) Netware uses eDirectory, and you would do well to learn LDAP as expressed above as its sorta similar. You can get SUSE 9.2 Pro for I think 50-90 bucks in the store and install it as a server to kinda see where Novell is headed. If you really want to get into it, take the CNE tests. From there you can order product CD subscriptions directly from Novell which are full versions (minus certain licensing disks) and they give you a new pack of CDs every year with a subscription of about 150 bucks or so. That's the best way to play. Sadly, I've been too lazy to update my CNE, so I just swipe the disks from work and goof on it. We have an SLA with Novell so we get all the goodies....

If you liked eDirectory on Netware... stay with it!

NDS/eDirectory is a free download from Novell, or $35.00 for the media
A single user license is only $2.00

eDirectory runs on: Netware, Windows, Solaris, Linux, HP-UX, AIX....

on Linux your cost would only be $2.00 per user... plus the server/computer

its the cat's meow :cool:

well in edirectory u set all the password settungs as with most others, and with zenworks u force out policys and applications... and OS's :D

im not sure how they get the policy out tho, il need to find out

if anybody is interested, look into the upcoming release of samba4. http://samba.org

the code is completely rewritten, and it is going to be able to pretty much rival a windows 2000 server for directory capabilities now. I am excited. :D

but is she a HOT geek girl..nobody knows.

(i keeed, i keeed)

samba4 would make me wet my pants if i wasnt happy with samba as is, or used local domains. =D

Wrench00 said:
hmm edirectory sound interesting? How do you do group policies in NDS?

THink i found it out (tho not tested!) you put the .pol file into a directory on the server, when the user logs in the computer takes the appropriate policy :)

Back