Setting up a 1u

DoMeHardR

Limp Gawd
I am setting up a 1u for a firewall but it doesn't have onboard video. I saw that on some sun boxes you can use a serial cable and get a text display of the system if you have no monitor or keyboard. I was wondering if this is true for most systems or was possible to set up at all. This way I don't have to put the vid card in when I want to install it. For the hardware I'm using its an AMD 2000, MSI kt4 ultra, 512 ram etc. Thanks.

pretty sure that is a proprietary firmware kind of deal, suns, cobalts, Pix, use proprietary mainboards with that functionality built in.

What you'll probably need to do to setup hyperterminal or another program to allow you to access the system remotely is to first setup the system outside the case with a video card attached so that you've got a monitor, then take the video card out after you've got everything setup for remote access. Note, some motherboards won't like booting up without a video card attached. You may need to splurge and get a motherboard that does have onboard video, but I couldn't say for sure.

Back