• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Setting Stripe on Raid 0 Raptors

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
1,053
I am going to be putting my OS, Editing Programs for video/photo (video files is on my IDE drives), playing games such as counter strike source, half life 2, and ut04, as well as roughly 3 gigs of music files to be played with itunes. Any suggestions as to what would be the best stripe size and why? Thanks. Also do I need to set anythign else like sector size etc. with Raid 0? Raptors BTW 74 gigs each. w00t. Thanks

-Pat
 
Best way to break it down, for large files you want large stripe sizes, for small files you want small stripe sizes. Though, raid 0 for games has shown not to offer any amount of performance to make it worth it, so stripe size probably won't matter much.

Raid 0 is designed for single large file transfers, not lots of accessing and random usage patterns which you will actually get less performance on raid 0 for that than you would a single drive.
 
Interesting, so really I should leave them out of raid 0 and run one as the os and page file disc and the second to hold the aps etc.?
 
The choice is really yours to make. Some will tell you it's the end all be all, some won't.

Personally, I used to run raid 0, until I had a single drive fail in teh array. Losing everything is not fun. I recommend the seperate setup, with the raptors it's still blazing fast and smooth. I've got a pair of 74's right now in my system, one booting linux, other booting win2k with a big fat 200gig for storage.
 
Back
Top