Setting "Primary" GPU

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd
I have 3x7950 in my main rig. The mb is in my sig.

I am using extender/riser cables on 2 of them... and the one in the middle is inserted directed into the mb.

The riser cables are 1x to 16x.

For some reason, the "primary" card for my monitor usage is the one closest to the CPU, one of the two that uses the 1x. When I plug my displays into the middle one, my displays never turn on at reboot.

It seems using the 1x for my 2560x1440 is not working so well... its fine for everyday work, but PS runs real slow, SC2 lags horribly even when I just get a skype/teamviewer popup, and I get pixelated errors across my screen when I have cgminer running (cryptmining) even at like 60% capacity, which it shouldn't if I were using the 16x I assume.

So how do I "set" the middle card inserted into the 16x in my mb as the main card to display the primary content to my hi-res display? I only have one other display plugged in, a 1080, into the middle 16x GPU.

This is a problem I've struggled with since using two Nvidia GPU's non-SLI for folding@home. My monitor is connected to the second GPU while the first GPU slot is dedicated to just folding. I haven't heard of or found any solution to fix those said problems.

Some have said go into the BIOS and see if you can physically change the PCIe slots and make the one you want active, but that doesn't work at all because there is no such option. Plugged into the middle slot I can't see the BIOS on reboot, but it does pop up the second Windows starts loading. If I switched the monitor to the first GPU then I can see everything. I don't know why it does this exactly or why we haven't corrected this issue at the BIOS level a long time ago, but apparently it still is a problem.

If you have an option to switch the main PCIe slot in the BIOS then I'd look into that. I personally think there is no such option and never has given I'd figure a pretty high-end SB-E MOBO would have that feature. Really is stupid why it only sees the closest 16x slot as the video card only slot, but I guess it is what it is.

[EDIT]

As far as some of the issues with a GPU in a 1x slot I can only imagine it's because a GPU isn't meant to run in a 1x slot. Could be a lot of things, but I imagine at some point bandwidth becomes a problem even if it was PCIe 3.0 1x.

This is a problem I've struggled with since using two Nvidia GPU's non-SLI for folding@home. My monitor is connected to the second GPU while the first GPU slot is dedicated to just folding. I haven't heard of or found any solution to fix those said problems.

Some have said go into the BIOS and see if you can physically change the PCIe slots and make the one you want active, but that doesn't work at all because there is no such option. Plugged into the middle slot I can't see the BIOS on reboot, but it does pop up the second Windows starts loading. If I switched the monitor to the first GPU then I can see everything. I don't know why it does this exactly or why we haven't corrected this issue at the BIOS level a long time ago, but apparently it still is a problem.

If you have an option to switch the main PCIe slot in the BIOS then I'd look into that. I personally think there is no such option and never has given I'd figure a pretty high-end SB-E MOBO would have that feature. Really is stupid why it only sees the closest 16x slot as the video card only slot, but I guess it is what it is.

[EDIT]

As far as some of the issues with a GPU in a 1x slot I can only imagine it's because a GPU isn't meant to run in a 1x slot. Could be a lot of things, but I imagine at some point bandwidth becomes a problem even if it was PCIe 3.0 1x.

Gezuz kristy I cant believe I didnt even look there, what an idiot... yes it was in the bios, an initial GPU setting, so I set it to my 16x and bam, that did it... now this is awesome for my mining process because I can set the other 2 cards on max load almost 24/7 and just adjust my main GPU down when I am working... thanks man!!!

P.S. What is folding? Never heard of it....

Gezuz kristy I cant believe I didnt even look there, what an idiot... yes it was in the bios, an initial GPU setting, so I set it to my 16x and bam, that did it... now this is awesome for my mining process because I can set the other 2 cards on max load almost 24/7 and just adjust my main GPU down when I am working... thanks man!!!

P.S. What is folding? Never heard of it....

Haha no problem, glad your MOBO at least supports this ability now I know it isn't a lie. Wish mine did. Folding is basically mining for cancer research and cures. You get points for each work unit you complete.

Haha no problem, glad your MOBO at least supports this ability now I know it isn't a lie. Wish mine did. Folding is basically mining for cancer research and cures. You get points for each work unit you complete.

Oh nice... good worthy cause... are they points like, Amex pts, to get products... or just "feel good" pts?

Here is my BIOS solution:

gpu-init.jpg

Thanks much appreciated. Still can't believe this isn't standardized on all motherboards. Disappointing that a $350 Asus Sabertooth X79 doesn't include this option, unless you have to use legacy BIOS instead of UEFI. I've just got tired of searching through every square inch trying to find some option at this point.

Thanks much appreciated. Still can't believe this isn't standardized on all motherboards. Disappointing that a $350 Asus Sabertooth X79 doesn't include this option, unless you have to use legacy BIOS instead of UEFI. I've just got tired of searching through every square inch trying to find some option at this point.

Because the X79 Platform DOES NOT support integrated graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011

Because the X79 Platform DOES NOT support integrated graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011

So in order to initialize any PCIe slot you want first you have to have integrated graphics? Didn't know that. I guess it makes sense, but if for some strange reason the first slot died it seems you'd be completely unnecessarily fucked? Its an easy fix now, but damn that's a really strange quirk it seems.

Back