Setting default registry setting?

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
So multi-user environment, xp, I need to set something for users by default and lucky its a registry setting. I'd not like to run a script in the background every time but set it once in the default user so when new accounts are created on the computer they get the setting.

Where?

I've always been told it was the default user profile hive %systemdrive%\Documents and settings\Default User\ntuser.dat

Nope I did that nothing

I tried hku\.default\ changed that, no to that too! Then create a new user log in with that user and they get the system default settings.

They key I'm trying to change is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg

I'm stumped and searching isn't turning up either what I already though or anything useful.

If its a registry key, I am almost certain you need to create a VBScript ot BAT Script upon startup that will run and enter the key. Dont think there is any other way to do this.

Thanks Lazy_moon, I've been testing some more and I found it works now... Must be something I did.

This will create the setting for the INITIAL values, not for profiles already on the system.

So few things that might have been going wrong:
1. I'm tired and PBSK
2. it is the %systemdrive%\Documents and settings\Default User\ntuser.dat file
3. When editing power settings this way the control panel exhibits... bad behavior, if you change it, then look via the applett it will change the settings by looking better to use powercfg /query to check.
4. %systemdrive%\Documents and settings\Default User\ntuser.dat is the correct place to change it.

We have altiris so I'm going to push this that way and the batch script I'm pushing will look like this:

reg load hklm\def "c:\Documents and Settings\default user\ntuser.dat"
reg import "\\<server>\<Share>\settings.reg"
reg unload hklm\def

This will load the default user registry hive has HkeyLM\def , import the reg settings, unload the hive.

I could have used a power cfg method scrip but I don't think it controls default user.

I've been meaning to learn VBscript and powerschell PS is just so... different.

Back