seti@home app_config

Filter

[H]F Junkie
whats the best app_config settings to use? seems like it doesnt always max out my CPU sometimes cpu stays at 20% some times goes to 100%

cpu5960x gpu titan x

anything i can do to make it use 100% of cpu all the time?

current config<app_config>
<app>
<name>astropulse_v7</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>.50</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>.3</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
<app>
<name>setiathome_v7</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>.5</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>.3</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

Filter, you keep saying max out CPU. Do you mean CPU or are you meaning GPU? The app_config you are posting is for GPU usage. Otherwise BOINC would run the CPU's at 100% unless told otherwise.

The one you have right now is basically running two work units at a time and only giving each work unit 30% of one thread/core.

If you want to test different configurations, then try running 3 tasks at a time. Then go 4 and so on until you find your sweet spot. But bear in mind that sometimes the GPU work units will be waiting on some CPU work before returning to GPU. So, you have to make sure you don't over saturate things. I don't have a Titan to play with, so can't tell you how far to push it....

3 work units <gpu_usage>.33</gpu_usage>
4 work units <gpu_usage>.25</gpu_usage>
5 work units <gpu_usage>.20</gpu_usage>

and so on... Just make sure you are keeping enough CPU cores/threads available to feed the number of work units you have in progress in reserve.

Edit: also take note of the info I have here http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040552771&postcount=16
You may be reserving more CPU to feed the GPU than you need for v7 but maybe not enough for Astropulse work. Double check and see for yourself what works for you.

Last edited:
The 2 work units keep the gpu above 90%

My cpu fluctuates between 20% to 100 % usage at times.

What are your CPU settings? The easiest way for me to see that is if you go to the event log and copy the first 30 or so longs from a fresh startup of BOINC. That will indicate your settings and such. It also saves a whole lot of typing.

Advanced view > Andvanced > Event Log in v7 that is pre-v7.6. If you can't find it, please let me know which version of BOINC you are using.

sent you a PM with the log

i do have it set to use 100% of the cpu. but some times it will sit at 60% for 20-30 minutes cpu then go to 20% and so forth. all cores get a load its just hardly ever i see it at 100% for very long.

im Milkcoma on the team.

just moved into 4th place for average credit on the team.

I use to run seti way back in the day then moved to f@h with the [h] orde for many years than stopped.

Glad to help. :cool:

Just so others know. There is apparently a bug in a few versions of BOINC where if you leave your setting as 0 on CPU settings which normally means no restriction, it doesn't work properly for some reason. So, you have to set it as 100% or whatever percentage you want. I honestly don't know what versions it effects, but this seems to be a case where it did.

I think Filter was using v7.4.42 64bit which is the latest "stable" version.

thanks hopefully i can get all my machines back online and get another nomination for DCer of the month and win it this time.

Back