Set up 1 PC in home net as a file downloader

Weeth

Gawd
As you can see in my sig, I have a house full of computers. They're all on the same 120Mbps cable provider network, the i3-4170 is wired, the others are on WiFi. What I'd like to do is to use the HP All-In-One as a full time downloader. In order to control and shift the downloads around from the other computers is the best solution TeamViewer or is there a more easily integrated solution to access from the other computers? Also is there anything specific I should do in setting up the homegroups? All the desktops are Win 10 but the All-In-One is on Win 7.

just make a homegroup, join with all the computers, make a new folder on the HP (or the existing downloads folder on that computer) shared with homegroup for read and write, then set whatever browser you download from to save to that shared folder.

just make a homegroup, join with all the computers, make a new folder on the HP (or the existing downloads folder on that computer) shared with homegroup for read and write, then set whatever browser you download from to save to that shared folder.

Thanks for the answer. That should work fine for the finalized files, but how do I start the downloads from one of the other computers without actually physically sitting at the All-In-One?

if you have the pro version of windows on that machine, you can configure to accept incoming remote desktop connections from your other computers. otherwise, teamviewer is probably your best bet.

Remote Desktop

This,

Also if you have the same un/pw oin each machine you can pull files via admin shares. \\machine\c$, \\machine\d$, etc and traverse the drive as if you where on the PC.

If you use usenet, SabNZBd you can configure it so you can control it from a browser on any computer in your network, and there are also other ways to do the same with torrents AFAIK (I don't use torrents)

Last edited:
If you use usenet, SabNZBd you can configure it so you can control it from a browser on any computer in your network, and there are also other ways to do the same with torrents AFAIK (I don't use torrents)

Transmission will let you do the same thing with torrents. Easy to configure in Transmission for Windows.

Thanks for the answer. That should work fine for the finalized files, but how do I start the downloads from one of the other computers without actually physically sitting at the All-In-One?

What type of files are we talking about here? Linux distros from Bit torrent or Usenet? If so, just run an automation program(s) on the HP computer suck as sickbeard, sabnzbd, transmission, etc. Have it automatically process and move the files with a script. Most of these programs are managed by a web interface. I rarely even have to do anything except update the list of Linux Distros I would like to download. Sickbeard automatically sets up the downloads as soon as the linux distos are released.

It all works very well. My measure of success is if my wife can use it easily.... and she can.

If you use SABNZBD on windows here is the post processing script I wrote. It strips out previews, executables, etc. Re-compresses the file to an Xbox 360 compatible format (we use an xbox as a media extender in a couple rooms). Copies the files to one or two destination folders. Deletes the data in the original folder, then prepends an extension to the original folder name marking it moved.

Code:
@echo off
REM **** Switches to folder,collapses subfolders into main unpack folder, 
REM **** optionally deleted undersized files, copies specified file formats to destination or destinations ***
REM **** Renames old data structure to "MOVED-"plus the orignial folder name.
REM **** USAGE IS: fc2 [foldername] [destination1] [destination 2 optional]

REM *********CONFIGURATION************

REM *** FILE EXTENSIONS TO COPY, SPACE BETWEEN DIFFERENT FILE TYPES ***
set ext=*.MKV *.WMV *.AVI *.MP4

REM *** CONVERSION SETTINGS (FFMPEG REQUIRED), EXTENSIONS TO CONVERT ***
set ext2=*.MKV *.MP4
set fileconv=yes

REM ***** DELETE FILES OF COPY EXTENSIONS IF LESS THAN A CERTAIN SIZE, this is case sensitive (yes or no) and (size in bytes)****
REM ***** THe PRUNE EXTENSIONS ARE THE SAME AS THE FILE EXTENSIONS TO COPY, Prune enables/disables
set prune=yes
set prunesize=61240000

REM ****ADDITINAL FILE EXTENSIONS TO PRUNE, NO FILESIZE LIMIT****
REM ****prune2 = case sensitive (yes or no) to enable or disable deleting, SPACE BETWEEN DIFFERENT FILE TYPES
set prune2=yes
set prune2ext=*.SRR *.NZB *.SRS *.EXE *.PAR *.PAR2

REM *******END CONFIGURATION**************

echo Action Starting Log....

REM *** GO TO UNPACKED FOLDER ***
cd %1

REM ***Collapse all subfolders into main unpack folder, overwrite duplicates***
echo Collapsing folders...
for /r %%i in (*) do @move /y "%%i" "%%~nxi"
echo _

REM **** DELETES all Files of blacklisted extensions, no filezise limit ****
echo Removing blacklisted extensions virus, etc. ...
if "%prune2%" == "yes" (
for %%m in (%prune2ext%) do for /F "delims=" %%A in ('dir /b %%m') do del "%%~dpnxA"
)
echo _

REM ****Delete any Video less than ~60 MB to remove samples ****
echo Pruning small files...
if "%prune%" == "yes" (
for %%m in (%ext%) do for /F "delims=" %%A in ('dir /b %%m') do if %%~zA LEQ %prunesize% del "%%~dpnxA"
)
echo _

REM ***Rename b00bs files***
echo Renaming b00bs files...
rename b00bs.mkv %1.mkv
rename b00bs.mp4 %1.mp4
echo _

REM ***Convert MKV to Xbox 360 Compatible WMV Container***
echo Converting to MP4...
copy c:\windows\system32\ffmpeg.exe .
if "%fileconv%" == "yes" (
for %%c in (%ext2%) do "c:\incoming\ffmpeg.exe" -y -strict experimental -i %%c -acodec wmav1 -ac 2 -ab 160k -vf scale=720:400 -vcodec wmv1 -b 4000k "%%c.X360.wmv"
)
del ffmpeg.exe
echo _ 

REM **** Copy Video Files to Destination folder *****
echo Copying files to new locations...
for %%x in (%ext%) do copy /y %%x %2

REM ****Copy video files to second Destination if request exists****
   if NOT "%3" == "" (
   for %%x in (%ext%) do copy /y %%x %3
   )
echo _

REM *** CLEANUP Files after copy ***
echo Deleting Files from temp Storage...
del *.wmv
del *.mp4
del *.mkv
del *.avi
echo _

REM ****Traverse back to primary directory, rename and append MOVED- to folder name for manual move verification before delete****
echo Renaming Processed files...
cd ..
ren %1 MOVED-%1

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information, I appreciate it. The All-In-One is using Win 7 Home Premium so I will definitely try the various options. I'll let you know how it goes!

Back