• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Set top box to a window on a PC

vengence

Level capped
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
18,469
I want to divide the signal coming out of the back of a FIOS set top box (HDMI Splitter, easy enough), send one to my TV, and send the other to a window (i.e. not full screen) on my PC. This second part is where I don't really know where or what I need. I know this will require hardware and software, I'm just not sure what to search for. I don't want to record the stream, I'm not trying to change channels. I've done some googling and found hauppauge.com and they seem to have a HD PVR, but it's not clear if these are record only or can live stream as well. Any ideas guys?
 
Any PC HDMI recorder will let you view in a window without recording.
But you may fall foul of copyright protection preventing some channels being decrypted.
 
Any PC HDMI recorder will let you view in a window without recording.
But you may fall foul of copyright protection preventing some channels being decrypted.

Where does one find an HDMI recorder that will decrypt everything?
 
the Hauppauge software will let you stream, pause, rwd, rec etc. it does it all. now I have no idea about the copy protection issue but I've seen one tv source split between multiple hdmi tvs before with out a problem...
 
If your using an hdmi splitter, that takes care of the HDCP for you.

Get a Hauppauge Collosus and you'll be fine.

I speak from experience.
 
Back
Top