Set my PSU fan top or bottom?

Joined
Feb 6, 2012
Messages
9
Hi, I have a Corsair 300r case with a 6950 that has a Accelero Xtreme PLUS II cooling on it.

Should I mount the PSU (Corsair TX750 V2) upside down so the fan is at the bottom so it takes air from the outside and pushes it inside the case? I figured if the PSU fan was taking air from the inside it would be competing with the GPU for air.

Or does it not even matter?

A little background: I have two 120mm fans infront and side(intake), 1 fan in the back (exhaust), 2 fans up top, (exhaust), and I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for my CPU
 
Last edited:
i mounted my power supply upside down so the fan is facing the MoBO.. It's my understanding that your power supply fan is typically drawling air in. The more space it has to do so the better. The air is then pushed out the back of the power supply.

Now that I have read your entire post (sorry). I would say it does not matter how you mount your power supply fan. It sounds like you have enough positive pressure going into your case that your good either way.
 
Last edited:
Hi, I have a Corsair 300r case with a 6950 that has a Accelero Xtreme PLUS II cooling on it.

Should I mount the PSU (Corsair TX750 V2) upside down so the fan is at the bottom so it takes air from the outside and pushes it inside the case? I figured if the PSU fan was taking air from the inside it would be competing with the GPU for air.

Or does it not even matter?

A little background: I have two 120mm fans infront and side(intake), 1 fan in the back (exhaust), 2 fans up top, (exhaust), and I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for my CPU

In this case, install the PSU with the fan facing downwards. You do not want negative air pressure in the case's airflow due to having more exhaust than intake (this negative pressure is exactly what would have happened had you install the PSU with the fan facing upwards). The negative pressure would have resulted in excessive dust build-up inside the case without any appreciable improvement in cooling capability.
 
Since the case comes with a dust filter for the bottom I would say leave the intake facing the bottom of the case.
 
i like my psu mounted on the bottom, its a heavy piece of equipment to be pulling down on something, this way, its pretty much laying on the bottom of the case.
 
it also depends on where your computer sits..
I would have liked mine facing down, but it sits on the floor (carpet), and wouldnt get enough air, not to mention the dust.. if it were on a desk I would have done it down
 
Many cases have rails at the bottom to create a small gap so the air isn't actually coming from outside, it's from within the case. I have an Antec 200S that does that and no problems with keeping the PS cool.
 
it also depends on where your computer sits..
I would have liked mine facing down, but it sits on the floor (carpet), and wouldnt get enough air, not to mention the dust.. if it were on a desk I would have done it down

This is why I have my PSU in my HAF-912 facing up. GFs build in the same comp has the fan facing down...maybe i should flip it..
 
it also depends on where your computer sits..
I would have liked mine facing down, but it sits on the floor (carpet), and wouldnt get enough air, not to mention the dust.. if it were on a desk I would have done it down

This. If you have good ventilation at the bottom of your case I'd have my fan pulling in cool air from the bottom rather than the warm air from inside of my case.
 
Back
Top