Set Exchange to drop mail sent to any invalid email address.

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an SBS 2003. How do I set it to drop email sent to an invalid email address? Right now, tons of spam going to accounts that don't exist, and it's getting cached in the IMF.

Recently implemented Untangle, so I'm wanting to turn off IMF, but would like to set it to drop email if the account doesn't exist.

Edit- guess I should clarify, since Untangle sends a digest of all blocked spam, the problem is compounded. UT filters out the spam- then sends that user a notice it was QT. Since that user doesn't exist, gets caught in spam queue anyway, circle continues.

Anyway to set the emails in here to be deleted every so often (So I don't have it grow and grow)???

I didn't realize this... but if I disable IMF... I don't need to worry about this.
That, and the fact Microsoft told me they can't find the hotfix for that article :eek:

HOWEVER- what then does Exchange do with mail if I don't have IMF turned on?

It's like right now, if it is good mail (like a test email from me to a bogus account), it gets bounced "Undeliverable". If it's spam, it goes into the IMF queue.
So, am I right in thinking, turning IMF off will drop (or bounce) anything not to a legit account?

Although I probably would set it up so that exchange doesn't send out NDRs.

Where is this setting at?

I know I can have IMF drop (Or I can just shut IMF off) the message... but if I can set it to not reply to anything, that would mean spammers know it isn't a running machine...

Back