"Set as active partition" "bootmgr" error

only1brian

Limp Gawd
Okay, I was curious, and now I broke my bootmgr, please helped. I've used search on many of forums and google... but no Startup Repair and Bootmgr commands have worked thus far.

Incident: I was trying to format one of my drives (storage only - no os), was in Disk Managment console, right clicked on the physical disk I was trying to format (though it was grayed out), and click on "Set as Active Partition". The result after restarting, was:

BOOTMGR is missing

When I try to do a startup repair from a burned win7 disc I have, it shows the OS after the scan on the correct hdd (because I've physically disconnected other drives except for OS and cdrom), but when I click next it tells me that it is incompatible with that version of windows.
If I am not mistaken I was running Win7 x64 Ultimate.

Troubleshooting... I've tried these links thus far:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

I am able to bring this disk to work with my and plug it in external if there is a way to fix it like that, but I would like to use my pc on my bday :( So any help is uber appreciated. :confused:

If you download Hirens bootcd .. boot into miniXP. Then go to the hirens program, go to the MBR/partition part of the menu. Select BootICE. In there you can reconstruct your MBR(NT6.0) and PBR per partition(NT6.0). Then there is an option in there to edit BCD. You can scroll to your SYSTEMDRIVE(C: usually) go to boot directory and select the BCD file. Then select view /edit . Make sure the entry correctly points to your HDD & partition. The rest should be correct. Reboot and you should be good to go =)
NOTE: you may have 2 partitions, a small 100M one and then ur normal windows one. Either one or both may have the /boot directory. Edit whichever one is set to active. (can be seen by looking at the parts manage button)

Good to hear! LOL, I just more closely read your OP .. again and yeah, it seems like you may have accidently set the OS partition to be the "active one" ? Rather than the 100M one? So, thats probably where your problem lied. Although, I dont know what it has to do w/ your storage drive =P
If you installed 7 when both HDD's were hooked up, 7 may have installed some boot files onto the storage drive, and that may have been the cause of this... I ono, weird. Thats why I always disconnect all drives from system cept the one Im gonna install windows on .. when I do windows installs.

Back