Set a program/shortcut to always open on 2nd monitor? (Win7)

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Is there any way built into Windows 7 to force a shortcut or program to always open on my second monitor? Seems some programs remember where they were when closed, but others do not.

I'd like to be able to say "Hey Firefox, always open on Monitor 2. "

Google wasn't much help, and I found some 3rd party software that everyone seems to recommend - Ultramon -- but its only a 30 day trial after which it costs $40.

Anyone know any tricks without using 3rd party stuff?

I think that both the ATi and nVidia control panels have this kind of functionality. Also, I _know_ that the Matrox control panel for TripleHead2Go allows this.

I am running dual 22" monitors on Windows 7 and Windows does exactly that automatically. I do have an nVidia card but i very rarely even use that software. I just let windows do it's thang. It remembers which monitor i have which browser or window on.

I mean i usually run Firefox on the primary lcd and Chrome on the second and if i shut down the pc with those to browsers open they come back when i reboot. I really don't know how or why they just do it ha.
If i have the monitors cloned when i restart my pc they stay cloned when windows boots back up, same goes for the extended display or extended desktop. One thing you could do is get a Logitech G11 or G15 and assign shortcuts to G keys or run a script, it's glorious.

Ultramon or DisplayFusion are your friend (not sure on displayfusion, but I know ultramon can do it).

Windows should remember where a program was last open on its own, but sometimes it is finicky.

I wish midclicking the icon opened it up in the 2nd monitor. That would be awesome.

Ya, some programs remember. Specifically I'm talking about EVE (online), its set to run in windowed mode, but always opens on monitor 1, regardless of where I drag it after opening.

Oh well, dragging a window once in a while never hurt anyone :D Thanks guys

This would be nice to have a certain modifier you could put into the launch string to make it open on a specific monitor. I run 7 on both my work pc's and my home machine and it seems to remember pretty well. I especially like how 7 remembers my external monitor settings so when I plug in my 24 to the HDMI on my laptop I don't need to enable it, set it as primary or set the resolution/position, it just seamlessly transitions.

Back