Service Pack 2 now available to all from microsoft.com

It's technically for IT's and Developers. Not for a single home PC really. Should wait for a more optimized one if you're not either one of them.

-J.

If you plan to slipstream, this is the one you want.
Hell, if you are reading this forum, this is the one you want.

If you don't want to wait a few weeks for it to be put on the windows update, get this one.

downloading right now... hope i get it before all the traffic starts ;) , but anyways... i'm looking to silpstream mi installiation soon... so yippie! lol

I installed it on a secondary system. Everything seems to work fine, but I'm gonna wait a while till I install it on my main rig.

t. shuffle said:
If you plan to slipstream, this is the one you want.
Hell, if you are reading this forum, this is the one you want.

What exactly is slipstream? I've heard quite a few people mention it but I'm not really sure what it is. Thank you

Dam all is good made my new CD"Slipstream" and not a single bug for me yet :D I see that the windows update has changed and there is some new stuff in the controle panle. So far is seems to run better and I love the built in pop-up blocker and firwall :D I have been running it for a couple hrs now bug free and next I will try some games ;)

sorta off topic question, do you need to install SP1 before using that SP2 executable?

does it have to be slipstreamed. or can u just download it and run the file and it will install sp2 right in windows? And when is it suppost to be on windows update? I plan on formatting tonight but i cant slipstream in into windows xp disc because i have a dell and it already has its own windows xp disc. Should i just install windows and then do all of windows update then download and install SP2?

chuckm1020 said:
does it have to be slipstreamed. or can u just download it and run the file and it will install sp2 right in windows? And when is it suppost to be on windows update? I plan on formatting tonight but i cant slipstream in into windows xp disc because i have a dell and it already has its own windows xp disc. Should i just install windows and then do all of windows update then download and install SP2?

Well, you can copy your XP disc to your harddrive, then slipstream SP2, then burn a new copy to use for the install. It only takes about 20minutes for the whole process if you have a recent cd burner. Click the link above for details.

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2.

I already have SP2 which I got from a link on GenMay. I just checked the file size of the SP2 I downloaded from GenMay, and it's 272,391KB, which is the exact same size as the one on the link from the first post in this thread. I assume I already have the "good" SP2 then and shouldn't even bother waiting for the "smaller, more appropriate download".

Edit: exact same filename too, so I'm all set. :)

i went ahead since people were asking if its ok to just download and run this. so thats exactly what i did. although it seems radclock seemed to make the system reboot loop after install, that was easy enough to fix. booted into safe mode, msconfig, and selective startup until i found the problem. now runs smooth as silk

emailthatguy said:
i went ahead since people were asking if its ok to just download and run this. so thats exactly what i did. although it seems radclock seemed to make the system reboot loop after install, that was easy enough to fix. booted into safe mode, msconfig, and selective startup until i found the problem. now runs smooth as silk
whats radclock? And can u go into a little more detail of what happend and how to fix. I just want to know before i install :D

Radclock is an ATI overclocking tool. Comes with the Omega drivers by default.

I'm going to give it a whirl when it finishes dling. I'll post if I have any issues

:D Doesn't recognize my mobile XP 2500 @ 2450 Mhz. Otherwise all seems to work well. No problems found yet.

man, sp2 messed my system all up...

it finished all up, but at the end I got a "invalid signature" error, and it said "windows service pack did not complete sucessfully. your windows installation may be corrupted. click ok to reboot"

i rebooted, and it was missing ntosknl.exe and ntfs.sys, and it's all screwed up.

Back