Server2k3 relay SMTP through SBS2k3?

JC419

Weaksauce
I've got a Server2k3 box running some business software and a SBS2k3 box as the DC/email/file/print server. The business software supports emailing quotes,invoices etc to clients, but I'm having a little bit of a problem with it. We're still testing the software but it looks like I'm going to have issues since right now I don't have A/MX records for the Server2k3 box in order for rDNS to resolve. If I set up both so that the Server2k3 box relayed mail through the SBS2k3 box, would that cure the problem? If I do set it up to relay, will it hit AD first so if I'm just emailing to myself (both boxes are in the same domain) the message doesn't need to go out and come back?

You don't want to have an MX record for the Server2003 system unless it is hosting your email solution (which I assume it is not because the other box is running SBS). Setup the SBS box to allow SMTP relay from the Server2003 system. Make sure that you only allow SMTP relay from specific sources.

As for the business software, how does it "support emailing quotes,invoices etc to clients?" If it requires SMTP relay, then you obviously need to point it to your SBS server. If it uses CDO or something else like Outlook, you'll need to set that up accordingly.

Back