server2008 (whs2011) bsod classpnp.sys - resolve by achi in bios?

kandor

Gawd
Hi,

I have a whs2011, I moved it from one location to another and somehow it would no longer boot, instead it would bsod which in safemode would happen at the classpnp.sys line.

Out of frustration or desperation and googling I found some reference to ACHI or SATA = compatablie. No reason to think anything had changed in the bios but I checked, and the sata was set to IDE.

I changed it to ACHI and lol and behold the system booted. However, now I'm left wondering if I should switch it back etc. I actually thought switching this would make a system unbootable, but here the reverse happened.

However, the server 'dashboard' i.e. the windows home server little app will no longer start.

Thanks,

Kandor

Ok, lol I solved this - classicly the mobo had been on 24/7 for so long the onboard battery had died, that defaulted to IDE, so resetting it to ACHI of course fixed it, and resetting the windows clock fixed the dashboard issue.

I know right? Sad part is I'm pretty sure this happened to me before years ago and I forgot about the battery again :(

I had the bios on a clients x58 workstation default from raid to IDE the other day and wouldn't boot. Very odd as it was a result of a crash when the PC had almost fully booted.

Back