Server stopped responding to remote desktop

Asgorath

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a server at work and all of a sudden it won't let me remote desktop into it. The server is webfacing and is on the network. I can't reach it from either side. From that server I can ping my other servers, ping the internet, remote desktop into other servers, and see file shares from other servers. Other servers can see the file shares on this server and ping it just fine.

On the troubled server I've disabled the windows firewall service, there is no secondary antivirus or firewall program installed, enabled remote desktop for the machine, and tried swapping network switch jacks that it is plugged into.

No luck. I'm a bit stumped. Any tips?

If it worked in the past, but if it isn't working now.
Maybe, someone is on your server. It is a small minor hack to stop a new session from breaking the current session.

As with most windows boxes have you tried a reboot? I've had that happen on various servers usually related with some sort of memory leak or process that's used up all the system resources. However on various occasions it's been various things.

I've rebooted and I can get to it on the local console. Also, when I look in task manager under the 'users' tab no one else is logged in.

When I connect to the troubled computer via terminal services manager on another server it shows no one else as logged in.

Is she multi-homed? Or just open to the web site via NAT port forwarding? If so...any other ports exposed besides 3389?

Some other RDP related issues on the boards had been fixed by doing video driver updates.
Did this server have one installed recently...even one of the Microsoft drivers in Microsoft Updates?

Is it just 1x PC that cannot RDP into it? Or any PC you try fails?

I disabled remote desktop. Clicked ok. Enabled Remote Desktop. Clicked ok. Started working.

Back