Server Setup

kethwika

Limp Gawd
Is anyone aware of any really good tutorials or how to in simple server set up for Windows 2003 server. I want to set up a server and am new to it, I have seen more advanced tutorials but am looking for a very basic understanding to get a file server going, active directory, web server, etc. Thanks or if someone wouldn't mine coaching me through and answering questions I have

Assuming you have the software, the best bet is to visit the local Borders, etc and page through some of the books to find one you like.

what is your comfort level with working on w2k3, installation and configuration wise? It's not difficult to do, more so to understand and manage without breaking things. I could help you, but then I would have to kill you and we don't want that. now for some tips.

Things you should know.
1. use a static IP
2. install DNS, but do not configure it. (that will happen during dcpromo)
3. open a command prompt and type dcpromo, hit enter, use defaults, enter a domain name.
(keep in mind that your domain name should not mirror a public domain name as there are dns issues that can be overcome but not worth it. Use something like johnsdomain.local or some shit.)
4. Once done you can then join machines to the domain
5. Dont use the administrator account to log into your workstations, rather create a domain account and add it to the local administrators group on your desktops.

GO BUY A WINDOWS 2003 SERVER BOOK FROM THE BOOK STORE & READ IT if you want to learn this stuff your on the right track, just remember that the odds are that you will at some point break it which requires you to fix it, or rebuild it.

Post up any questions you have, but only after you search for the answer first. I find people learn more when trying to think through the process prior to asking how to do something. If you can tell me you trying to do something and how you tried to do it and had issues I will then offer some pointers.

Good luck!!

get a "for Dummies" book. It doesn't get more user friendly than that. There's no shame in owning these books. They're real lifesavers.

And don't be shy experimenting with Windows Server 2003. Unlike it's predecessor, it's very automated and wizard driven. After you install the OS, you'll face a Server Management window which ask you what you want your server to do: IIS web server, terminal server, Sharepoint server, DNS server, and so on. Select whatever roles you like and sit back and wait. It's really that simple.

Back