• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Server Rebuild - Where to put current data?

Tyklfe

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 10, 2002
Messages
1,290
I need some help folks. I've got a 4x160gb Raid5 that is totally full and it's time to update so I'm looking at possibly 4x WD2500KS drives as the replacement running on the same 4 port RAID card that my drives are on right now.

The problem is that I need a place or a way to stash 480GB worth of *cough*stuff*cough* while I pull the old drives and put the new ones in and rebuild the array.

So my question is this: Do any [H]'ers have half a terabyte free for me to use for a day or two when I finally get around to getting my new drives? Or do you know of any company who's buisness it is to store data for a period of time?

Thanks,
Kyle
 
- Plug in 2 or 3 of the new drives as stand-alone.

- Copy files from the array to these drives and verify each file copied successfully.

- Break the array.

- Copy the files from the larger drives onto the old drives and verify each file copied successfully.

- Now switch the drives. Newer drives onto the RAID card and the old ones as stand-alones.

- Hook the new drives to the array and create the RAID.

- Copy the files from the older drives to the array and verify each file copied successfully.
 
Nn'theraq'pss said:
- Plug in 2 or 3 of the new drives as stand-alone.

- Copy files from the array to these drives and verify each file copied successfully.

- Break the array.

- Copy the files from the larger drives onto the old drives and verify each file copied successfully.

- Now switch the drives. Newer drives onto the RAID card and the old ones as stand-alones.

- Hook the new drives to the array and create the RAID.

- Copy the files from the older drives to the array and verify each file copied successfully.



Heh - good Idea - thanks.


The only problem with that is if I have enough sata ports to be able to do it all in one go... but whatever, thanks again.
 
Back
Top