Server Rails won't fit in the Rack

Party2go9820

2[H]4U
OK, so this isn't so much networking related, but I figure you guys have as much experience with racks as anyone so here I am.

Just got a nice HP Proliant 1U server. Set up the software and everything is good. Was good. So I went to install the rails in my Compaq rack and the things don't fit. The length seems good and all but the rail ends want to fit in to square holes. My rack has round screw holes so the tabs on the rails don't fit

When I ordered the server I remember wondering about this as there were several "rack mount" options:
Rack mounting rails
Standard Quick Deployment Rails
Telco Rack [Add $111.00]
Third Party Cabinet Rack Kit [Add $128.00]
Sliding Rails & Cable Management Solution [Add $222.00]

I just figured I'd get the standard ones and if needed order the right ones later. Well its later and now I'm not sure which ones I need. You guys got any suggestions or ideas? :confused:

Either modify the rails (may conflict with warranty,etc so make sure it won't first if this is anything more than a home setup) or order a third party rack kit. Call HP, explain the situation and see if they offer a kit specifically for older Compaq racks, etc.

Which 1U system? We have a number of 1U Proliant servers in the old Compaq racks with round holes...no issues here.

NetJunkie said:
Which 1U system? We have a number of 1U Proliant servers in the old Compaq racks with round holes...no issues here.

Its a DL320 Generation 2.

The rails have little tabs that are supposed to fit in the square holes on the rack. I suppose I could bend them out, but then there wouldn't be anything attaching the rail to the rack except one screw in the back and the the thumb screw in the front. If we ever took the server out the whole works would fall out. :eek: Hmm.. maybe I should take some pics.....

NetJunkie said:
I have some of those and don't remember a problem. Take pics.

Ok, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Rack.jpg

That is the standard Compaq rail kit. You would need to order the round hole kit (They call it the DL320/DL360&TaskSmart C 3rd Party Rck Mounting Kit)

Or a hammer and some vice grips should take care of those little tabs. :D
If you're in a hurry just hammer them out flat.

ambit said:
Or a hammer and some vice grips should take care of those little tabs. :D
If you're in a hurry just hammer them out flat.

Like I said though - If it "remove" the tabs, there is very little holding the rails (and server) in place vertically. There are screws for the back side, but just the thumbscrew that is on the server for the front. If I ever tried to take the server out, the front half of the the rails would flop down as well doing god knows what kind of damage.

I made a couple of phone calls asking about that rail kit ipconfig /all, but no one has gotten back to me yet. Hopefully I'll be able to find someone who has it. You wouldn't have a part number would you by chance? ;)

Thanks for the help.

Ahh got ya.
I thought a seperate screw would go through the rack and into the rail. I haven't dealt with the 1U proliants much.

Well, I was wrong. I just remembered our racks have square holes and not round holes. That's why we never had any issue.

Back