server rack help

nicolas9510

Limp Gawd
hey, i plan on getting a server rack. the tower thingies.
and i was wondering about the different types out there.
i keep seeing these:
2-post-relay-racks-24u.gif

and i was wondering if these are suitable to support of weight of lets say some 50lbs servers and some routing/cisco equipment.
my main question is, the server rack rails that i see on ebay have attachment points at the front and the back like so:
102388-3.jpg

but on the rack in the picture, there isnt any attachment point that i can see for these.
i was thinking that i might have to use these instead:
relay-rack-shelves-29vd.gif

so just wondering if i am thinking correctly?
thanks for help

First of all.... The top racks are Relay racks. Typically for holding switches and routers. The second pic is of server rails and you attach them to the sides of servers to a 4 post rack.

If this is for a home setup you can get 2 relay racks and make a 4 post rack out of them by building a wooden stand to bolt them too. Relay racks are alot cheaper than a 4 post rack or enclosure. I have seen rack mount servers mounted to relay racks; however, I have seen where the weight of the server actually causes the server to sag or fall out of the rack. I would recommend a 4 post of some sort and the sliding rails are definately a plus in case you have to change hardware.

I build my own rack using rack rails. That are made by APW.
119_0081.jpg

Hope this helps.

Yeah, you need 4 post racks. You can also buy 2-post L-shaped racks for some servers... but the ones you pictured are relay/telco racks.

Those rails are not intended for a 2 post mount system. They MAY have a "Mid Mount" set of ears for your server. Here is an Example

You can certinaly use that tray instead of mounting rails / ears.

The only real issue is with mid mounting and using trays is that if you also have network equipment which is flush mounted you end up with your servers hanging out and your switch gear flush mounted. So you may want to consider starting out mounting network gear top down and servers bottom up.

moetop said:
Those rails are not intended for a 2 post mount system. They MAY have a "Mid Mount" set of ears for your server. Here is an Example

You can certinaly use that tray instead of mounting rails / ears.

The only real issue is with mid mounting and using trays is that if you also have network equipment which is flush mounted you end up with your servers hanging out and your switch gear flush mounted. So you may want to consider starting out mounting network gear top down and servers bottom up.
After going through a data center migration...and looking at those rails, I'd guess it goes to an old Compaq DL380/580 system. Those things don't have mid-mount kits.

I really hate those rails. The older they get, the more prone the little balls fall out and go everywhere. Then, once you do find them, you have to put them back in and jack with the retainers to keep them back in. Once that is done, then you have to be careful with the server cause you'll re-bend the retainers putting you right back at square one

i have a 4 post rack in my basement. I need to get some real server cases but for now i use some shelves that i got from work and put tower pcs on them. Works ok for now. I got a keyboard tray thing that pops out but doesnt fit on my rack because the frame is too wide. Sucks because its pretty cool.

Fark_Maniac said:
After going through a data center migration...and looking at those rails, I'd guess it goes to an old Compaq DL380/580 system. Those things don't have mid-mount kits.

I dunno about the 580's but either 380G1's or even the way old 1850R's

I miss that stuff :(

@Axeldoomeyer:
i know their cheaper thats, why i am asking these questions. 2 half sized ones woul cost me about $260 new + shipping. what do you mean build a wooden stand to bolt them to? like get some 2x4's and put them under both rack and bolt them down in order to get the rack rails to fit? if so i would have to check out the dimensions for that.

@versello:
i simply havent found a 4 post rack in the $100 range yet, gonna check ebay, but i doubt i will find one for that cheap. they are simply to expensive for me.

@Fark_Maniac:
im located in atlanta georgia, kinda far from you :), but still, waht kinda rackes/prices you got?

@moetop
id be putting the heavy servers at the bottom anyway.

thanks for input
found a neat server 4 post rack:
22" wide X 30" deep and 61" tall

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160057464092
cost about 160 to ship to where i live
i know its a 4 post cause of this pic:
0e_1.JPG

this suitable?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
[QUOTE@Axeldoomeyer:
i know their cheaper thats, why i am asking these questions. 2 half sized ones woul cost me about $260 new + shipping. what do you mean build a wooden stand to bolt them to? like get some 2x4's and put them under both rack and bolt them down in order to get the rack rails to fit? if so i would have to check out the dimensions for that.
[/QUOTE]

It is kind of hard to explain. I took mine down and built the cabinet. But essentially you have 2 relay racks mounted to a piece of plywood one in front of the other. Make sure you get them square. This will create a 4 post rack. I have recently seen kits that will turn 2 relay racks into a 4 post system.

The enclosure that you mentioned would be suitable. It appears to have square holes in the rails, just make sure you get a bunch of cage nuts. They clip onto the rails and have the threaded insert in them. Also make sure you get tons of rack screws. ;)

If you are installing servers you really need a 4 post rack there is no question about that, for safety reasons.

ya i thought so, cause i wouldnt feel comfortable putting a 70lbs server on a 2 post rack.
thanks for the input
i looked online and found the cage nuts :)
quici question on them: do the clippy things go up and down or side to side?

The clip opening goes on the rail and the nut fits in the square hole... It has been a while since I have used cage clips so I am going from memory... HEHE

You might want to check out the 19" 4-post racks at www.starcase.com

We've started selling these where I work and they are pretty decent and come in a variety of sizes with various options like side panels, casters, shelves, etc.

nicolas9510 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160057464092

Thanks for the link. He's got some other items I might be bidding on as well.

Back