Server Power Supply Question

bizh0p

n00b
So here is one that is completey stumping me....
At work I have 4 Dell PowerEdge 4400 servers and there are three power supplies in each one. Recently I have had one go bad, so I did the usual, called Dell replacement and ordered another power supply, when I received this, the replacement would slide in, but not seat into the power supply board. These are identical models with identical power inputs and outputs. Thinking there was a defect with this power supply, I called Dell and they promptly sent out another, this one also does not seat completely into the board slot. By the way, the bad power supply still slids into the origianl slot and seats completely, I can still apply power and connection is made. I have tried the two replacements in all four servers and none work. I even resorted to ebay and purchaed another identical power supply which was pulled from and working server, and yes, the same story, would slide into the slot but not seat. I have called Dell tech support and went over the server specs with no avail. This one has truly stumped me, and if anyone has come across this a little insight would be much appreciated.
I also set the power supplies side by side and everything looks the same, identical connectors. By the way I can swap any power supply from each of the 4 servers with any other one and they all work (except the one which has failed). Anyway I have gone on long enough with this.
Thanks in advance.
bizh0p

I would shut the server down, and give it a love tap with a big rubber mallet, that in my data room hangs in a place of honor right above the emergency power shut off switch.

00938353000-190.jpg

OUCH !!!! Remind me never to have either of you work on my equipment !!!!!

Back