Server OS for Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'All non-AMD/Intel CPUs' started by Spaceninja, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Spaceninja

Spaceninja [H]ard|Gawd

I bought some more Raspberry Pi's to replace a few of my Linux servers with. Mainly for power and space reasons. I have been looking for a trimed down OS like Ubuntu Server but it seems the port doesn't work on the B+ model. Any suggestions for what to use?

2. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Just use Raspbian Lite and install whatever packages you need from the terminal.

Also you need to turn on Flow Control on whatever port the 3 B+ is plugged into or you will have connection issues when moving large amounts of data. Or you can use a USB NIC with the RTL8153 chipset.

juanrga likes this.
  3. Riouken

Riouken Limp Gawd

4. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Side note: You won’t get anything over ~20MB/sec transferring data from an external drive over the network connection, they both share a USB 2.0 bus. This works great for my uses however I don’t need fast transfer internally. I can still stream 1080P 60 video from it just fine though.

5. Spaceninja

Spaceninja [H]ard|Gawd

Any file transfers will be from the SD card to a NAS on the same switch. The machine that is currenly running is an older A64 and it is slow as all get out. I am going to gut the thing and replace with better hardware, but it will be handling new tasks. I don't have anymore space for another 2u in the rack. I can velcro the Pi somewhere in the rack and call it a day.

6. acascianelli

acascianelli [H]ardness Supreme

You could try one of the BSD's (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD). I don't remember what is/isn't working with OpenBSD on the Pi yet, but I think NetBSD and FreeBSD are both well supported on them.

7. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

Raspirian is your best bet as mentioned above and apt-get the packages you need.

drescherjm likes this.
  8. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

Can't you just install Ubuntu MATE and strip out X?

9. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

rasperian has x but so what, just ssh to it. It's pretty light.

10. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

An eligant solution is to run raspi-config and set the default boot to console.

11. acascianelli

12. PaulTech

PaulTech [H]Lite

acascianelli likes this.
  13. acascianelli

Thanks, did not know about this variant. Going to kick this around on a spare Pi this week.

14. PaulTech

PaulTech [H]Lite

I do like it, you will have to get used to the concept of 'snaps' (https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/basic-snap-usage#0) but they lend themselfs very well to small devices/IoT.

Give me a PM if you run into any troubles.