Hi all,
I'm having problems with my pfSense box -- with traffic shaping on, sometimes when I load websites with a lot of content (e.g., lots of small pictures, like images.google.com), the page will only half load (that is, only half the images on images.google.com will show up). This happens when I am seeding (not that heavily, around 80kBps out of a maximum of around 130kBps). Similarly, sometimes opening a a new page will pop up a "server not found" error almost immediately, and if I refresh, it'll load normally (and very quickly, I might add).
As you can probably imagine, it's really getting annoying having to hit F5 every few times I navigate to a new webpage, and it seems to be a DNS resolution issue.
I've tried using multiple different DNS's (ISP provided DNS, OpenDNS, and Google's DNS), as well as multiple queue configurations for QoS, but to no avail. In my simplest QoS setup (in trying to at least diagnose this issue), I have port 53 (DNS) as well as port 80 traffic listed as highest priority, and am using P2P catch-all for everything else at lowest priority, as well as allocating adequate bandwidth for both. It still doesn't fix it.
With QoS off, the issues disappear, but obviously this is not a permanent solution.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm considering going back to my WRT54GL w/ Tomato if I can't figure this out, but there's so many nifty features in pfSense that I'd really miss!
Thanks!
I'm having problems with my pfSense box -- with traffic shaping on, sometimes when I load websites with a lot of content (e.g., lots of small pictures, like images.google.com), the page will only half load (that is, only half the images on images.google.com will show up). This happens when I am seeding (not that heavily, around 80kBps out of a maximum of around 130kBps). Similarly, sometimes opening a a new page will pop up a "server not found" error almost immediately, and if I refresh, it'll load normally (and very quickly, I might add).
As you can probably imagine, it's really getting annoying having to hit F5 every few times I navigate to a new webpage, and it seems to be a DNS resolution issue.
I've tried using multiple different DNS's (ISP provided DNS, OpenDNS, and Google's DNS), as well as multiple queue configurations for QoS, but to no avail. In my simplest QoS setup (in trying to at least diagnose this issue), I have port 53 (DNS) as well as port 80 traffic listed as highest priority, and am using P2P catch-all for everything else at lowest priority, as well as allocating adequate bandwidth for both. It still doesn't fix it.
With QoS off, the issues disappear, but obviously this is not a permanent solution.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm considering going back to my WRT54GL w/ Tomato if I can't figure this out, but there's so many nifty features in pfSense that I'd really miss!
Thanks!