Server Name, anyone?

Stellar said:
Well, since you're doing this for educational and theoretical purposes, why don't you actually use a conventional, practical name for your machines instead of a random cliché name.

I second that.

The focus is on the eval of the server and what it can do. It'll appear more professional with a conventional name, and thus the focus will be on it's performance and not what the observer thinks of the name. Also, it sucks to have to waste moments of life explaining why you chose a particular name for a server to someone. Telling your boss that the files he needs have been temporarily moved to \\UberWanker\Corporate_Financial_Statements\ could be kinda akward. ... I guess if your environment is informal enough then that doesn't hold as much weight.

It can also help with organization and referenceability (is that a word?). It's easier to know that LnxWeb01 is the first linux server in a series that houses your web applications instead of trying to remember what all you had running on the Taco server. Also, it's easier to grow your network as you'll run out of food items before you do numbers.

my home network used to be named after soups: chixnoodle, tomatobisque, minestrone, etc.

then typing \\tomatobisque\share_name got really old so I renamed everything to what it is: DC1, MEDIA, NAS, IIS, etc.

A really powerful name, in my opinion, for your server would be cockthirsty. But, that's just me. ;)

Stellar said:
Why do people give a crap about Greek or Roman mythological names or figures? Don't you people realize what the Greeks used to do for "fun"?

What the Greeks used to do for "fun" is completely irrelevant. Some people (myself included) have fun naming their computers interesting things. Sure, I've got a huge rack of machines at work named according to IP address (to not give away more information than needed) with labels on them telling me what each machine is). I've also done the "name every machine what it is - Firewall, Web01, etc." route.

My home machines are a different story - I know exactly what each one of them is and it's entertaining to come up with fun names for them.

UMCPWintermute said:
What the Greeks used to do for "fun" is completely irrelevant. Some people (myself included) have fun naming their computers interesting things.

No, it's completely relevant. I have nothing particularly against naming computers creatively but why people think anything Latin or Greek related is "cool" or interesting is beyond me when they aren't Greek, related to Greeks, believe in mythology, knowledge of their respective histories, or have any other vested interest in the ancient cultures except out of a lack of any truely original thought.

I find it especially funny since this is what the ancient Greeks used to do for fun. Google up "sexuality in ancient Rome" or Greece. Let's just say they had "abnormal" sex lives, even in their mythology.

Mine are generic, fileserver, webserver, internet, game, notebook

My brothers is computer.

I like the car naming.

if it's for a corporate environment (my previous suggestion was for home use, as noted by my personal examples), I would suggest some kind of profession continuity.

for example, MailServe / WebServe / UNIXServe / WinServe / etc.

that makes your life easier, because mounting the www root becomes as easy as:

\\WebServe\webroot

OR mounting user accounts becomes:

\\UNIXServe\unixhome

more $0.02

I go for either uberpractical or biblical characters. My two machines here at college are fs (for file server) and lazarus (this machine stopped working, and then started again :p ). I have an old machine at home named meth (short for Methuselah, which would be a PITA to type every time).

I'm trying to think of a better (biblical) name for fs, any suggestions? If I were using Greek, it'd be Atlas, but I can't think of an equivalent Biblical name.

Stellar said:
Why do people give a crap about Greek or Roman mythological names or figures? Don't you people realize what the Greeks used to do for "fun"?

They sound good, there's enough of them, and there's story and personality to go with the names. Good enough for me, and if the old greeks did a few things I don't approve of, so what?
(FTR, I am reasonably familiar with the related mythos. Some years of more or less neutral classes on religion and philosophy will do that. :) Their sexual life is ... not a factor for me.)

I'm really more partial to the norse mythology (for what I guess are obvious reasons), but for now I use a mix of CPU type (alpha, xeon), OS (tru64, IRIX), other (nord, "north", because that's what the recycled monitor it once used said), and descriptive (d-laptop) names. It's just a bunch of home machines anyway.

As for choosing a descriptive name or not, think of it as marketing. There is a reason Ford didn't name the Mustang the "sportscar-4" (or whatever).

unhappy_mage said:
I'm trying to think of a better (biblical) name for fs, any suggestions? If I were using Greek, it'd be Atlas, but I can't think of an equivalent Biblical name.

Samson?

Sanchi said:
Knocks down temple, kills himself and thousands... I think I'll go with something else, thanks.
1c3d0g said:
Never sees the promised land... but that's actually sort of appropriate, given the number of hardware changes this thing's been through. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ideas!

Some names I've used

refreshingcola (my desktop)
shinything (powerbook)
lilbastard (work laptop, dell pos)

hellhammer (stats box at work)
ed209 (firewall box)
number5 (db box)
linguo (web server)

oh and can't forget, arschbacke, my server at home.

Back