Server Managment Question

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am currently setting up what amounts to a back up and file server in an office, because of the dual nature of the office part of the office is tax exempt, and the other part is not.
So some of the computers are managed by another IT department that I would rather not deal with at this point in time. I'm quite new to the whole server management thing put would like to make a good impression on my superiors.
What is a good browser based interface I can use to allow the three users that are on a separate network access to the server for back up and file serving purposes? Its on a different subnet.
Any other solutions would be great, hardware wise and software wise.
I am currently looking into an ASP.net solution.
So if anyone could point me in the "right" direction that would be great, and yes I am currently Googling solutions, so some feedback would be amazing.

Thanks in advance.

How about some details? What server operating system is on this "back up and file server"? How is the network configured? Like a quick topology would help for suggestions.

Yeah sorry like I said I'm new to this all so didn't think about what I needed to include.

The server is running Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, the client computers are all Win XP Pro SP3 machines.
As far as the network set up goes the computers are all on a router that goes out to the internet.
As far as connecting goes the users log in as member's of the network1.local domain.
The computer's that are an issue are part of network2.local, those users are required to log in once through what appears to be a tunneling log in interface, and then from there into windows.

At this point I am considering just hosting the server out as a web server and have the three users connect to it via the internet, using Sharepoint or some ASP.net written application to deal with the file management side of things.
Realistic only one of the users will be connecting to the server with any regularity.
And as far as backups are concerned those on the network2.local are all ready covered.
I can go into more detail about the network if needed.

A major issue I have run into is that users on network2.local do not have local administrative rights on the systems, I'm sure I will be able to work around that issue however.

Hopefully I have given you all the right information, this is the first server I have setup so I am just happy I have gotten this far with no major issues.

So basically if I am reading this correctly, basically you have a server with a bunch of storage. You have users in Windows Domain environments, and even though they are on the same physical network they are on two completely different domains (I have a client like this, and feel your pain. NPOs suck to work with and setup).

If that is the case, just run openfiler. They will be able to map the shares as network drives and then you can control how the users can connect / what rights they have using AD based permissions.

Yeah that's the basic concept.
Openfiler I will look into that. The worst part about this whole thing is the server is about 3 feet from one of the computers on the other domain, just really frustrating.
However it is what it is, other small issues have made this project slightly annoying such as computers that for some unknown reason have XP Media Center on them.
Luckily that's a simple upgrade as they are all Dells.

Thanks much for that suggestion, any other ideas would be great as well.

Okay I looked into Openfiler, but that doesn't look like what I'm going for. Granted it would be a great solution if this was the start of the program, but unless I run it as a VM I would have to replace the existing Win Server 2008 OS, unless I am missing exactly how Openfiler works.

I'm not looking for an OS, just an application to run inside of Win Server 2008 to allow for a similar interface as Openfiler. It would however be fun to have the chance to set up a WM.

Grab ESXi! Or VMware server. Just don't try to run openfiler or freenas in Hyper V.

Also why a web interface? Wouldn't it just be easier to manage everything as shares. And in that case, just run Windows with a bunch of Samba share. I know that they are on another "network" but is it just another windows domain, a separate VLAN or a whole physically separate network.

Yeah its physicaly the same network as they are all part of the same subnet, they are on different domains, that are run by a different department.

This feedback is great so far thanks so much guys, this is all really valuable information.

As far as a web interface was concerned it was just my initial idea of how to have file directory access on the computers on a different domain with out having to install new software, as I don't and the users don't have admin rights locally on their machines.

you will need to setup a one-way trust.
Domain1 will need to "trust" Domain2.

You can then create a share on the backup server, and provide only domain2 users read/write access to that folder. Assuming also that Domain2 network has access to Domain1 network since you did state they are on different subnets.

all this openfiler, esx/i crap, bit overkill for something relatively simple to setup.

A one way trust seems like it could work, after the initial trust is set up, would the user need local admin rights to connect every time?
I'm sorry I meant to say they were on the same subnet.

A one way trust seems like it could work, after the initial trust is set up, would the user need local admin rights to connect every time?
I'm sorry I meant to say they were on the same subnet.

no user would need local admin rights.
it would be just as easy as mapping a new network drive for them, and that would be all there is to it. Which can be done manually or logon script.

Decided to go the simple route at this point and time and set up Active Directory Trusts, however the problem I am facing now is dealing with the head of security on the end of domain2.

What possible holes are there going to be if the domain2 is only set up with incoming trusts, that is to say the domain2 knows that domain1 trusts it, and domain2 can make outgoing calls to domian1, but not the other way around?

I can't see any but I am sure there would be some security concerns for the network and security admins of domain2.

If this doesn't work out it looks like I will end up going the sharepoint webserver solution.

Sorry about horrible spelling no spellcheck on server 2008 ie I guess, or at least the version thats on this one.

Much thanks for all the great advice, this is all very useful, if not now but down the road.

Domain1 admin can deny Domain2 users from network logon except for the specific server with the data.

there really aren't any security holes with one-way trusts.

Domain2 can access shares on Domain1, but because of the one-way trust, Domain1 cannot access anything on the Domain2 network.

I figured as much.
I'm going to be pissed when the security guy calls back with a no.
Well I started depolying sharepoint just in case so we have a quick solution.
Part of me does want to set up a vm to manage those 3 clients.

Back