Server locking up, constantly needing hard reset.

Hey everyone, my basic server build I threw together a few years ago with an i3 is locking up after sitting idle for a period of a few hours. It will lock up and need to be hard reset.

Full system here:
i3 6100
MSI B150M Pro-VD
8 GB RAM
5 HDD
Thermaltake 850w Toughpower PSU

Event viewer is showing a kernel power 41 critical error. I just recently swapped out a stock 140mm phantek fan and a 120mm S-flex fan with 3 Corsair LL140 fans and there was also a Windows update done at the time of shutting down to perform the swap. Ever since I brought it back online this has been happening nonstop. I just disconnected 2 of the new fans and all of the LED lights and looked at voltages from the PSU from HWinfo and they are all well within spec, although the PSU is pretty old. Even with the power draw about the same or less its still happening. I have no idea what is causing this all of the sudden. I tried to do a system restore and that also failed. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

EDIT: Ok so I realized the kernel power is me hard resetting the computer, there are no other critical errors, but there are alot of regular errors pertaining to windows, so I'm wondering if its time for a fresh install of windows.

Last edited:
A fresh windows install isnt bad, but first I would connect things back up, and while monitoring voltages and temperature, run something to stress test it. also check power settings, is it set to sleep, hibernate, check bios for c states, turn them off. it may be getting stuck trying to go into a lower power mode

Sounds like a flaky power supply and/or bad RAM.

A fresh install will prolly crap out midway because of these issues.

Thanks for the tips guys, I will reconnect everything and re run some stress tests. What is everyone using nowadays? I tried Prime95 but it refuses to run on this PC for some reason. I have all power saving and sleep settings turned off since its my home server that I run 24/7, and nothing was changed prior to the swap, but I will double check everything.

Ok I downloaded all of those and I ran HD sentinel real quick and all of my drives are at 100% health. I don't have time to run memtest before work today, but I did go deep into the power settings and saw that one of them had the HDD to turn off after 20 mins, which it was never put to that before and the power mode was set to never sleep and 'high performance.' So I'm gonna leave it on today while I'm at work and see what happens when I get home.

EDIT: Server was up and running all day while I was at work, came home and it was running perfectly, no hanging. It looks like somehow the HDD was set to go to sleep after 20 minutes, but I have no idea how that happened. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
Back