Server Licence Confusion

Jay_2

2[H]4U
I have a Windows 2000 DC that is fully licensed up. I have now added a Windows 2003 server to host only terminal services, the 2003 Server will not be doing anything else.

I have used a trail CD Key to test it and its perfect for what i need. Now i intend to fully license the server.

What i am confused about is how I need to license this server.

I will have about 15 thin client terminals.

Here's the canned response. Microsoft is the only one who can authoritativly answer your question... Your var, or license reseller can act as a good surrogate too...

With that being said... You'll need at least a Server 2003 license, and Terminal Service CALs to cover the number of connections you want to host. You may or may not need more Windows Server CALs depending on how your current server is licensed, per server or per seat. Sometimes MSoft will let you transition CALs between per server and per seat, but I don't know exactly what you've got now.

Of course, if you're running any Microsoft apps in the TS sessions, you'll need to properly license those too.

I have a Windows 2000 DC that is fully licensed up. I have now added a Windows 2003 server to host only terminal services, the 2003 Server will not be doing anything else.

I have used a trail CD Key to test it and its perfect for what i need. Now i intend to fully license the server.

What i am confused about is how I need to license this server.

I will have about 15 thin client terminals.

Somebody please either confirm or deny this...... you'd be better off running 2000 server for TS since the CALS are covered by the client OSes. On 2003 server, every client needs a new TS CAL. Essentially the TS CALS were "freebies" on 2000 server. I believe MS let's you downgrade from 2003 to 2000, meaning you can run 2000 server under your 2003 license.

ok

So Windows TS where bundles with the Windows 2000 Server CAS?

so if I setup a second Windows 2000 server for only TS and lincence that per server then I do not need to pay for the TS licences?

>>so if I setup a second Windows 2000 server for only TS and lincence that per server then I do not need to pay for the TS licences?

Yep, that's my understanding of it.

It may be best to clarify that with MS though.

My understanding was that only Windows XP Pro licenses acquired before April 24, 2003 qualified for free TS CALs (of any flavor, 2000 or 2003). Microsoft discontinued the "free TS license" program completely in 2003.

Therefore, if you have XP Pro clients that were purchased before Apr 2003, and you meet the criteria, then you can have TS 2003 CALs... Otherwise, your SOL...

Here's the rub... Even if you do have XP Pro licenses that qualify for the 2000 TS CALS; if you purchase Server 2003 and use the downgrade privlidge, you'll probably still need Server 2003 TS CALs since your license is "technically" Server 2003. You can't purchase a "Server 2000" license anymore...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/tsletter.mspx

My understanding was that only Windows XP Pro licenses acquired before April 24, 2003 qualified for free TS CALs (of any flavor, 2000 or 2003). Microsoft discontinued the "free TS license" program completely in 2003.

Therefore, if you have XP Pro clients that were purchased before Apr 2003, and you meet the criteria, then you can have TS 2003 CALs... Otherwise, your SOL...

Here's the rub... Even if you do have XP Pro licenses that qualify for the 2000 TS CALS; if you purchase Server 2003 and use the downgrade privlidge, you'll probably still need Server 2003 TS CALs since your license is "technically" Server 2003. You can't purchase a "Server 2000" license anymore...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/tsletter.mspx

I beleive that program ended.

Back