Server Ideas??

BrinNutz

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, I have been asked by a company to build them a server for voicemail only. I am one of three people they have asked, obviously they will go with the lowest biddder, so my task is to put together a server that will handle about 10-15 personnel checking voicemail. Yup, a voicemail server, that's it.

My question, what platform do you think would be the best and most reliable. Will probably be using 2 Sata drives @ about 160-250gb apiece mirrored (for reliability), Intel or AMD? I want something that will perform well, but as far as servers is concerned, I don't know what would be best. It will be running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Trying to keep the build costs around $800-$900 or so....So I was told by my buddy who works for this company, who asked me.

Trying to keep the build costs around $800-$900 or so....So I was told by my buddy who works for this company, who asked me.

Considering Windows 2003 Standard costs that much you will not hit your goal.

Anyway yea a cheap server from dell or hp.

You can get a HP Proliant ML100 series with an AMD 3500+, 512 MB RAM and two 160 GB drives, and use software RAID under Windows to eliminate the cost of a hardware card, and you can get the server for under $1000 with a 3 year warranty. Building one yourself, you'd be hard pressed to beat that, and most likely you cant support it as well or as long as HP can, that's just the way it is with servers.

And the above is correct, you can't get Windows 2003 to fit that budget legally, does the company have a license for that?

Considering Windows 2003 Standard costs that much you will not hit your goal.

Anyway yea a cheap server from dell or hp.

Ok, I may point him that way. I don't konw if they just want to see my PC skills or what, the company is thinking of hiring me, so this may be a test, but I doubt it.

You can get a HP Proliant ML100 series with an AMD 3500+, 512 MB RAM and two 160 GB drives, and use software RAID under Windows to eliminate the cost of a hardware card, and you can get the server for under $1000 with a 3 year warranty. Building one yourself, you'd be hard pressed to beat that, and most likely you cant support it as well or as long as HP can, that's just the way it is with servers.

And the above is correct, you can't get Windows 2003 to fit that budget legally, does the company have a license for that?

I will take a look at those and will tell my buddy to look as well. Can't beat the support on those!!

I would imagine the company has a license for it. It's a networking company. =)

I will take a look at those and will tell my buddy to look as well. Can't beat the support on those!!

If you really want price out one from a business rep from both companies and see who is cheaper. Then see what you could build for simular but know the warranty on the dell or hp so you will be able to talk about the pros and cons of buying from one of them vs building one yourself.

Back