Server? HTPC?

A2TheRizzo

Limp Gawd
Well I don't really know where to put this, but mods move it where it should be. Basically I am wondering,

What is a server used for?
What exactly "defines" an HTPC?

I know they're stupid questions, but I'm clueless.

Server= like if you had a file... and a company and everyone needed that file, then you'd put it on a server and then everyone would have access to the server(and the file)

HTPC= a Pc that has all your media on it hooked up to a tv/large monitor. Usually with Media center

Well, I made my old PC a CS:S server for me and my friends. I have another older server used as a webserver (well, it's down right now, I have to buy another power strip, not important anyway).

Basically, a server is something that allows users to connect to your PC. They can be for anything really, games, web sites, networks (like for schools or offices). The most common is probably a webserver, which you only need to download and install apache to use. Very simple. Naturally, a big site will need good hardware and lots of RAM and fast HDDs. Sites like yahoo.com and google.com (even though google is simple) need a lot of power, but they have many many many servers networked together to share the load.

I've seen people use old PIIs as servers, and as long as it's just for a small personal web site, it works just fine.

Hmm, thank you for your responses. I have one more question as well.

When you download and install the Counter-Strike 1.6 dedicated server, how come it is better to run on a different PC than the one you are using?

Unless you have a pretty good PC, it probably won't be able to handle it very well. I mean, AI for like 15 bots (zombies) and then simply keeping up with the other 15 players, or just 30+ people playing, that takes a bit of power. It's not like you need a crap load, but a little bit of power never hurts :p

EDIT:

I'm running a Source server, so I don't know if it takes more resources or not. Still it's usually reccomended on a different PC, one that you can leave on when you aren't using and stuff.

Sorry if I am being dumb, but I have one last question that I can think of tonight. That is, why do some systems use 2 processors?

A2TheRizzo said:
Sorry if I am being dumb, but I have one last question that I can think of tonight. That is, why do some systems use 2 processors?
So that it can do two things simultaneously with absoluetly no performance loss. It's useful in servers when lots of people will be on that server at the same time. There are two processor systems, and some processors have two cores on them (two physical processors and each processor has two cores = a total of four processors).

Back