Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Small Business Server to act as an active directory for sharing files, print services, and domain controller. This server will be in use in a small dental practice.What for?
Well, it will be accessed by a front desk computer, three desktops in the opertories, and a single desktop in the boss' (main dentist) office. Not to hard of file accessing. I'd say the most systems accessing the server at one time would be three.What's the envisioned I/O load on these?
They need to be reliabile. I'm already looking at buying a very good raid card and running the storage hdds in raid 5 or 6, and two os hdds in raid 1.What are your requirements for reliability?
Currently, there will be no backup strategy besides a Tape Drive. But i'm sure we will add a small server as a backup server and run the backup wizard on the server daily, as well as backup on tape.What's your backup strategy like?
Good deal. If there were a hundred users or they were doing something disk-intensive it'd be an issue, but as it is disk load shouldn't be an issue. Are they doing medical imaging of any sort, or just billing and so forth?Small Business Server to act as an active directory for sharing files, print services, and domain controller. This server will be in use in a small dental practice.
That's a good start. I've seen worseCurrently, there will be no backup strategy besides a Tape Drive. But i'm sure we will add a small server as a backup server and run the backup wizard on the server daily, as well as backup on tape.
And an 80mm fan for the top, yes?Cooling: Three of these
What capacity? What's your uptime goal? Make sure to install the software that comes with it.I will be buying an APC UPS Backup for the server.
Yes, that should handle the load. You don't really need the SR version for this application, but it'll prevent crossloading the three rail version with the presumably low video card draw, so okay.No need to worry about a good psu, I already picked out a great one:
Don't buy 8 drives unless you really want to. To paraphrase the Notorious B.I.G, "mo hard drives, mo problems". 2 300-500 gig disks in raid 1 (or 4 in raid 6, or 5 in raid 6 + hot spare) would be cheaper, cooler, and fewer points of failure. And it'll probably be easier to find replacements in two years when one dies.HDDS: 8x 80gb Raid 6 - Main Storage
2x 80gb Raid 1 - OS
I personally like the Supermicro cases (they've got a 92mm fan instead, for one thing), but okay. At least it's an enclosure; I wouldn't want more than three drives in standard 3.5" bays.ALL DRIVES Will go in two of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816215001
and the stock CM Stacker hdd cage will act as an air intake for the rest of the system
Can I run a business server run 24/7 365 days a year with SATA2 hdds instead of SCSI or SAS smoothly?![]()
ok, i'll make sure the drives I pick are rated enterprise-quality.Look at getting enterprise-quality drives. Western Digital, Seagate and others offer enterprise versions of their popular SATA drives. They tend to be about $10 more per drive (e.g. for 320GB) but are rated for 24/7 continuous operation. If you look at the HD makers' web sites, you can get info on them.
RAID for redundancy is a very good idea in your case and a good UPS is also essential. You will have to put together a good offsite backup strategy to finish it off. Whatever you choose for backup - tape, DVD, removable HD etc - you'll have to keep the data in another building to be sure it won't be subject to the same disaster that your office may suffer. A bank safety deposit box might do, but even the main dentist's basement could suffice.
Sounds like a good way to go, but one suggestion - run raid 6 or have a hot or cold spare. N+1 drives isn't enough redundancy for business, IMHO, and if you're investing in a raid controller that'll do raid 6 you might as well use itI guess I could always do a 3x250gb in raid 5 for storage and two 80gbs for OS, eh?
Good, good, look for GXT2 Liebert units. On eBay they're around $300, usually. 1000 VA true online UPS.I will have scheduled backups set, both on tape and most likely some type of backup to a backup server. Yes, 80mm fan on top. Uptime will not need to be long with the UPS, maybe 20 minutes.
Because it's 2.5" laptop form factorAlso, how is a 80gb hdd $133? newegg has them for $44.99 (unless you don't live in the USA ???)
Those are 7200.9-based drives. I would recommend the newer 7200.10-based drives, because the 7200.8 and .9 series were unpopular due to poor seek times, so they may go out of production sooner than normal. For OS drives, it's not so critical - if they go bellyup, you reinstall and move on. For data drives, it matters.AMD RULES said:The hdds i selected in a previous post (the 80gig ones), here is the manufactors website and they are rated for sata servers:
Can I just backup to another server within the office, for when you say off-site? Because we're not running a fiber optic line here. Just a commerical grade broadband connection.
Unless, you are saying backup to an offsite FTP server?.?.....
Just my opinion, I disagree with your input. I suspect that atleast 100gigs will be used at this office, with several thousand high res photos, patient files, and more. There is no computer system right now.I suppose the dentist already has a computer system.
250GB is a lot of data for a small business. I suspect 15-20GB is the max needed.
Backup can be a simple Xcopy with the right parameters.
Backup to a internal hard drive every evening to a directory that looks like Month-Year. Backup to an external drive drive also and every Monday rotate to a different external hard drive.
Set the turn off hard drive time to 15 minutes.
No RAID. If you want to, mirror the OS to the backup drives